Monday, February 11, 2008

[incest] third cousins breed most

Update for this post.

Hot from Iceland, even if seriously flawed:

Couples with the same great-great-grandparents have more children than those who aren't as closely related, according to an Icelandic study.

They'd know up there in those winter months, wouldn't they? So the message is clear - get out there and get breeding.

By the way - do you actually know your third cousin? Also, maybe you should read this first. Also, how did they gather the data for this study? 'Excuse me- have you bonked a close relative lately?' And is the study really necessary for our further understanding?

This was also interesting:

Incest in the United Kingdom is governed by the Sexual Offences Act 2003. In France, incest laws were abolished by Napoleon some 200 years ago. Incestuous relations between a parent and minor child are prohibited and punished by law in France, but not between adults.

How could the same thing be wrong in one country but not in the other [despite the law]?

10 comments:

  1. My dad's auntie used to keep trying to set me and one of my second cousins up together every chance she got.

    We are (un?)fortunate enough to have a pretty huge family I guess she thought it was about time all the different branches started tying in together.

    Amusingly, she didn't quite see how perhaps we might have a problem with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just been reading up the situation in America and it's pretty rife over there.

    The second story I'm doing is set in France so might just bring that topic up there.

    Dad's Auntie - so what does that make you by relation? 3rd cousin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Not to sure. She was my Great Aunt and the cousin in questions was my dad's cousin's kid.

    So second or third anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very odd! All my relatives are ugly buggers or a million years old - so the issue never arose for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know. To me, something is wrong or it isn't. Loads of people marry first cousins here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Past 1st cousins most people wouldn't even consider themselves related. All the way out to 3rd cousins and you'd have to be told you were.

    Still trying to see the 'troubling' part of the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it depends probably on how closely you were all brought up together.

    Sometimes a sense of family is more than how close your blood ties are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have to love a Southern perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course you do James, just so happens I don't like (sexually) most of my cousins, so no worries from me.

    But to think you would have a problem with a cousin of a cousin of a cousin is weird to me.

    Considering the non-risks in birth defects at 1st cousin or lower, the only reason you could have against it would be bigotry against the people heh

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree with oestre bunny. I just went back to my country and met my huge family. I was attracted to my first cousin and we had a fling. I did not feel guilty because we werent raised together. My father on the other hand suspected something and told me to cut it out. I plan to go back in March and hopefully he still likes me that way. I am awaiting impatiently his letter.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.