Saturday, February 09, 2008

[blogrolling] just have to love these guys

The situation on the blog couldn't be direr. Time is just being Hoovered up by both RL and the necessity to complete the book before the window of opportunity closes next week [regular sessions at uni].

Just been reading recent comments and many require thought out responses. When? When? Lots of comment about "debate" - post hopefully later. Seems to me the main jobs on the blog are:

1. interesting topic, relevant to today;
2. answer your commenters;
3. visit and link.

Understandably, my visitors have dropped right away in the last few days, a situation which hopefully can be reversed. What's upsetting is that many I'm sure think I've lost interest, e.g. Wife in the North, Mutterings, Chris Dillow and so on but it's not true - it's simply time and organization. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat.

It's not helped by Blogger playing up something awful recently in its html formatting for posts plus this, which has bu--ered up the whole system:

ERROR The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://blogrolling.com:4080/

The following error was encountered:

  • Connection to 216.193.240.86 Failed

The system returned:

    (54) Connection reset by peer

The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.


Generated Sat, 09 Feb 2008 06:47:58 GMT by elrond.vpop.net (squid/2.5.STABLE14)

7 comments:

  1. "my visitors have dropped right away in the last few days"

    Different level I know but welcome to the club, James.

    As I have said before, you try to juggle too many balls and occasionally they fall and you have to scrabble like mad to gather them up and start juggling again.

    Try putting one ball aside. Bet you can't though, you're not made that way.

    Seriously though, hope you find your way through this period

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really not stats I'm referring to but blogfriends in the Sitemeter Referrals - the referrals are important, plus the entry page and country split.

    Actual stats are largely a question of Google trawls so I'm not worried about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wondering where blogrolling went myself. I notice it is missing from my blog page. And its website is missing also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a brief hiatus ain't a problem- and by the way I often come throguh just typing in the web address- I've memorised yours and some others too.

    Incidentally on another point- problems with Blogger its not just you, Matt Sinclair has been having some issues too recently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I ever come here from the blogroll. You are one of the many links on my taskbar or I come via bloglines or google reader or pageflakes and only by drilling down in the sitemeter referrals would you ever know it was me and maybe you have other Vancouver visitors.

    But my little furry face appears on MyBlogLog and then I usually can't resist commenting, although I am a bit wary of being accused of vacuity by anon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't worry about the last bit, JMB - join me in my vacuity and banality. Although I alwys thought it was evil which was banal. Perhaps I am.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.