Sunday, February 10, 2008

[blogger classic] last freedom in the sphere




Rob has just been having problems with control-freak providers:

I was trying to make some code appear on my site. Now this code has taken me ages to get right. Not because it’s complicated. Just because WordPress was playing havoc.

I typed out the code using some entities and normal quote marks. It appeared ok but it wouldn’t copy properly — rendering the banner useless. OK I thought, I’ll just use entities. And this is where things got annoying.

The problem with WP is that it likes to change things for you.

That's right, Rob - it does. Typepad and Wordpress are useless service providers because they insist you do it their way. Wordpress doesn't even let you justify text and prevents you doing a myriad other things you'd like.

Then Blogger got in on it with their ridiculous "Layout" widget rubbish until someone clearly told them where to put it and they allowed "Classic" again. Here's how easy Classic is:

1. Go to twenty pages of Classic templates [google Blogger Templates] available on the web;

2. Choose one;

3. Copy the html to Word and play about with it, throwing this out, writing this in, designing your header for yourself;

4. Paste in to the template and save.

Voila - nourishing insanity in its new version - I've just finished the initial site before tweaking. Now, if I'd like to tweak it, I go to Mandarin Design Color Chart and make some slight adjustments to taste. I'm not saying my design skills are anything to write home about but I do have the freedom to do as I wish.

Easy-peasy. All other providers - you can keep them.

3 comments:

  1. The answer is to buy your own hosting and use Wordpress out of the box. I can justify or, for that matter whatever I want using CSS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I do. But It doesn't stop WordPress changing things I don't want.

    I'm going to find that string PHP that's doing the dirty and kill it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.