Friday, January 18, 2008

[new mac] vulnerable or not


It's hard to know whom to believe. First I read this report on MacOS vulnerability, claiming that he:

...used vulnerability statistics from an impartial third party vendor Secunia and I broke them down by Windows XP flaws, Vista flaws, and Mac OS X flaws...

Then there was a rebuttal, going into everything from the antecedents of George Ou and ZD net to the nature of Secunia data in the first place. As author Daniel Dilger concluded:

I should point out that I’m not attempting to suggest that Apple has no flaws, cannot possibly deliver problematic software, or can’t improve in its efforts.

There are fairly well documented problems with Safari, Bluetooth, Apple Mail and even the Finder system. Many have read of the hacker who took over a Mini in 30 minutes. So yes, Mac users should not be complacent.

But it would be lovely to see a bit of impartial reporting from someone not in either camp. Meanwhile, the Mac continues as a lovely system to work with and as I become more Mac literate, new vistas open up. One of my favouites is using both hands to execute commands and then voice commands to switch applications.

If I want to play a playlist, I just say "Music" and when it opens, name a playlist and then say "Play". Quite nice if I'm in the middle of typing this.

7 comments:

  1. I've been using Macs for years.

    We have Norton on my fiancé's PowerBook, and that's a nightmare - I'd take it off in an instant, if it were mine. I've no security on my iBook G4, but then I presume viruses will more likely affect Intel Macs.As Mac become more popular - and businesses consider them for enterprise roll-outs, more problems will emerge.

    As for your enjoyment of OSX: welcome to the beautiful people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyger - I know you're in that field and your comment was noted. Have to watch it. Good to see you too.

    Julie - novel's in abeyance just now.

    I've slashed 1-8 and reduced them to 5 chapters, made the main character less of a moaning minny about how hard love is and tried to make him a little more of a bastard - just a little.

    I'm writing a lot of expansion of the other characters just now, particularly Zhenya and trying to let the events carry it forward, eliminating any narrative.

    It will be up by Monday I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's one reason alone which counts for Mac's being relatively safe online and that is popularity. Hackers and code writers simply aren't interested in fringe technology no matter how good it is. More people use Windows so Windows is the target.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish that I had a p.c that understood ( and obeyed) when I yelled at it( talked to it quietly) too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quiet Man - that's so but at hacker conventions, the Mac is a popular target.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.