Wednesday, November 14, 2007

[nigerian scams] it's good to be loved

In the light of the recent letter David Farrer received about the Olympics [:)] and of the dozen or so I've received recently, I felt it would be churlish not to reply. Would you, dear reader, kindly check the letter below for any errors and comment in the margin?
Dearest Madam Tinunbu,

Delighted to read your letter and appreciated your epithet for me: "Dearly Beloved". You see, I haven't been doing so well of late in the love department and to know that you love me - well that's more than my poor heart can stand.


So sorry to hear that your efforts towards the abolition of the slave trade are meeting with such fierce resistance and that it's all so expensive. Of course I'll rush you the $12 000 immediately but in this day and age, Mme Tinumbu, I'm sure you'd understand I need to make sure you're for real.
There are so many scammers out there e-mailing people right now.

Would you therefore simply and quickly verify your bona fides before I proceed, as set out below?


Your full name _____________


Full address ___________


Bank to whom my donation is to be sent ___________


Your account no. __________


Type of account ___________


Your mother's maiden name ___________


Your S.W.I.F.T. code no. ___________


Please e-mail, by attachment, specimen signature [twice for verification].


With great love from the bottom of my heart to you and your extended family,


Jamette Highamele [Ms]
Wonderful lady. Just wonderful.

8 comments:

  1. Very funny. I do hope you get a response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This, Lady Jamette, made my morning.
    Yours laughter loving
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, James. Yes, do let us know if you get a reply!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't they bloody annoying these emails? Good response.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've replied many times and I get no answer. I think they are good at detecting sarcasm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most email gets dumped after the first sentence if it makes it through my spam traps & I don't recognise the author or subject.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever seen this site?

    http://www.419eater.com/index.htm

    You might get a kick out of this.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.