Monday, November 19, 2007

[board games] microcosm of real life ?

Have to admit – hadn't really thought about this one too much before Dave J's post:
For awhile now I've been having a difficult time of playing board games with my daughter.

I squirm about wishing the game(s) would end, trying hard to hold my tongue and smile politely as we trudge round and round the little squares.


Then it hits me. This has nothing to do with the act of playing games, and everything to do with the games we're playing.

After pondering this I've come to the conclusion that most board games are microcosms that mirror our world; and the problem lies in the realization that these games are choosing to glamorize all the wrong aspects of that world.


Life: the game of socialization, norms and expectations.

Monopoly: the game of real estate, consumption and economics.

Payday: the game of work. Work to get paid, spend that paycheck accumulating "stuff," and "things."

Risk: the game of global conquest. Build up your military forces and take over the world one nation at a time.

The list goes on and on with one mindless game after another encouraging us to delight in our opponent's virtual downfall.
The obvious reaction of some would be: "Take it easy, get a life," and Dave's obviously aware of this:
As a parent I struggle with where to draw the line. If I censor everything that I feel is objectionable, how will my daughter be able to form her own impressions of the world? Then again, what level of exposure is overexposure?
Therein lies the parents' dilemma - knowing something is not good for the kid but not wishing to interfere for fear of counterproductive effect. So the parent rationalizes: "Well it's only a harmless board game after all." Surely there are more important things to be worrying about?
Add to this my desire for her to develop a strong sense of personal ethics, and the reality that the highest form of morality (according to Kholberg) transcends societal norms and laws, and I am often at a complete loss as to how to react or what to do, and I rationalize "Meh, it's just a board game." But is it though? Is it just a board game?

6 comments:

  1. Having brought up two seriously game playing children I can't see any harm in the games that he mentioned or any of the others that were so popular in our day.
    Children recognize them as being games and are only interested in winning them, not forming moral judgments about life from them.

    Yes, it is just a board game and it can be a very valuable learning tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my children, Daughter, had the Game of Life and I adnit to being rather concerned about its morals. But my children have turned out all right! Cluedo might be a bit more of a worry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Dave's post is very interesting. How on earth, as a parent, you could be sure where to draw the line these days is beyond me. Can't stand board games myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting - I commented at the site.

    JMB - I agree.

    Our kids weren't much into board games when they were growing up - one not at all, while the others only played Monopoly, chess, Cluedo and Scrabble, and those not very often. We still play board games together (and these days poker, too!) but it's still not very often. I think children sometimes enjoy the social side of playing a board game as much as the game itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A couple you forgot to mention:

    Operation: a capitalist system of healthcare can lead to your nose lighting up

    Diplomacy: (one of the great boardgames): dealing with people is as important as actions. Impressions matter

    Chess: complex sequencing matters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Innocent enough for a child, yet what lay at the core? Or better yet, why have games like Monopoly and Risk gathered such a loyal following over the years? Why are these the type of games that so many people gravitate towards playing?

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.