Tuesday, November 06, 2007

[blogfocus tuesday] mixed bag this evening


1.The lovely and talented Juliet has been touring this fair land and that's dangerous when you get near Eggs Tump – it could all pass right over our heads:
Alongside the church, which is now dedicated to St. Giles, is the picturesque 14th Century Prior's Hall, Little Malvern Court, which has been home to the Berington family for four centuries.

I didn't know any of that when I set out this afternoon, though I have visited Little Malvern Priory at least twice and have passed it countless times - it just seemed a bit pointless to put up a nice picture without any information, so now I know. :-)

Eggs Tump - what does that mean?

It may be too obvious for it to be a place identifiable by an egg shaped tump... I couldn't see one, anyway, but I liked the name. (Better, is Much Marcle, a bit further along - and where the notorious Fred West was born, and in which Letterbox Field he buried at least one of his victims, Anna Fall, his pregnant lover... )
2. Bob's a bit down, possibly due to the weather:
Something about the weather change seems to cause a slight ebb in my metabolism, which in turn affects my moods. It never reaches the depression stage, but it does cause an amazing case of apathy at times.
Add that to the pains of a bad back, edema, sleep apnea, and the normal BS of everyday life, and it can get to you at times.

Luckily I seem to be coming out of my slump, so thank you for visiting during this time.I haven't really been doing too much during this time, mainly getting things ready for winter out in the yard. I did go to a gun show Saturday, and that cheered me a bit, even though I couldn't afford some of the stuff I really liked.

Most of the weekend was classical music time; I seemed to be favoring Handel and Bach, with a bit of Vivaldi thrown in.
3. Ross Fountain is certainly a “key blogger”:
"Key workers" is the other buzz phrase that annoys me. First of all who decides which workers are "Key Workers"? From what I can tell the chosen few are exclusively public sector workers.

Apparently the private sector consists of work that is essentially trivial to the functioning of the country, so whilst Social Workers, Bus Drivers and Diversity Consultants are "Key Workers", those that work in the manufacturing or service sectors of the economy will have to damn well learn to commute.

Rather ironically the builders who are supposed to be erecting all this "Affordable Housing" aren't "Key Workers" whereas those employed at the council planning office creating obstacles to development are.
4. Chip's a brave man anywhere within proximity of the feisty Gabby but at least he's got his blog back [sort of]:
The crackle of small arms fire came from the direction of the allotment shed. I ducked. Gabby winced.

The trouble began when Gabby had uttered a few words of complaint about the quality of the cheap Chinese rockets she’d picked up in town. Compared to the Romanian fireworks that had arrived last week, the Red Star Dragon Super Burst Astro Rocket had been a rather tame addition to the night’s display. She’d decided to remedy the problem by tying four of the rockets together. The result had been as unpredictable as I’d predicted.

The bundle of rockets had begun to bounce around the garden, first taking out the chicken coop and eventually punching a hole through the side of the shed and igniting Gabby’s cache of .44 ammo.

The shed burned through the night, with the sound of the occasional bullet still making us hit the ground. At one point, a fire engine arrived but we managed to get them to leave us alone by claiming the shed was actually a bonfire, to which, by that time, it bore a great resemblance.

2 comments:

  1. Love the top pic. I am all nostalgic now. Diverse and interesting as ever, James.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleased you like the post, James. Welshcakes - I thought that autumn scene might cause some nostalgia in ex-pats... It clouded over almost immediately after but the sun fell perfectly for the photograph.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.