Tuesday, October 16, 2007

[sitemeter] were you attacked last night?

Update on the update: On the same day I reported the problem, a real human being at Sitemeter replied and gave a full explanation for what had happened and their intention to remedy the hit on my stats from somewhere. They then promptly did that. Would that every large organization could act like this. Most impressive.

Update: E-mail seems to be down too. Notifications from blogs are arriving but not direct mail. Maybe you could test mail me to see.

If you're getting "permanent failure" messages, use:

nourishingobscurityatgmaildotcom .


Readers - great dislocation today.

Firstly, they're putting in cable and due to arrive any minute. Then there were last night's problems. Went to bed early [heavy day today] and have just seen an e-mail now saying the person tried to contact me many times.

Went to Sitemeter and my stats were not completely removed but from Saturday to Monday, reduced to zero, zero and twenty a day uniques respectively. Now I know they were bumper on Saturday and Sunday because I saw them, didn't see Monday's final total but knew it was not bad at 21:00, London time.

Between then and now, something happened. Either everyone's stats were attacked or just mine. I'd assume everyone's but if they were just mine, well, it might be related to the Mac changeover but I can't see it - Sitemeter is not dependent on that.

There is another expanation and it's understandable, given the things which have appeared on my site lately. Wonder they didn't stymie me completely, really.

Unfortunately, RL calls now so will sort all this out later.

9 comments:

  1. My sitemeter is okay. It must be you they're after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't panic yet, I've had stats vanish and then reappear days later as if restored from some back-up media. This sort of thing is happening more and more, perhaps due to increasing blogging volumes or maybe because of the increasing volume of cyber-attacks?

    What do you need stats for anyway when you have the Blogpower community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sitemeter was fine as well. I have had emails to you seem to bounce though over the last few days and emails have arrived telling me that my comments on this blog were emails that bounced back. I reckon its some computer thing to do with your email address- perhaps sitemeter relies on that and therefore when things are bouncing sitemeter switches off, its just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, James. Just sent you a test email. My sitemeter seemed ok last night but sometimes it disappears for hours, but then I don't get the loads of hits you do - it might just need a rest in your case! I empathise regarding the chaos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting emails returned that should go to you James, that is when I comment they are returned about 24 hours later as undeliverable.
    My sitemeter stats were half for three days last week then shot up again. However yesterday more than 50 referrals were from Adelaide Green Porridge Cafe, not just one post but all different ones,although sometimes the home page. As if there was some connection from his blog to mine. I still don't know what's going on. They were all different IP numbers and different locations but showed his blog as the referring URL.
    None looking for Westies any more, sob, sob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had two of those emails today too, telling me that I'd left message on your blog but that ... well, I didn't really understand the rest.

    Wolfie asks what you need stats for when you have Blogpower. Well, it's fun. For instance wondering why on earth a blogger in the Czech Republic came to my blog on a search for the lyrics of 'I'm a pink toothbrush'. It's better entertainment than the television.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sitemeter disappeared from two websites and when I try to go to sitemeter.com in Firefox or Safari, I just get a title at the top that says something like www.sitemeter.com.gif 1x1 pixels. I mean it's like they're totally GONE.

    Someone else please tell me they're having this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. picturegrl - it depends on your template really. Is it Blogger? If so, go back to basics and reinstall again via sitemeterdotcom. Do you have your details handy as well. Write to the guys there - he's quite good on this stuff and within a few days he'll help you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thing is, I can't even access the Sitemeter website. I get nothing in any browser I use. I lost it on my wordpress blog and my regular blog which i coded myself.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.