Friday, October 19, 2007

[new mac] fourth post

Part 1

Well, this is really weird stuff. This is a test post and I'm sitting in an armchair blogging with the new Mac.

My dream, though, is somewhat different - to blog from the phrontistery - the loo! The Airport remote thingy is working well so far but the new printer was making awful noises before it settled down and acclimatized to its new home.

So, having written this, time to try the graphics. Oh wow, they actually work! Down side is that with Safari, there are no hyperlinks in Blogger so clearly some way to go still.

Boys' toys, didn't one of the girls say?

Part 2

Well, well, downloaded Firefox and for a while I thought the lack of Justifying and Hyperlinks were problems of the Blogger/Mac interface but fortunately Firefox solved it. Yippee! I can link to you now.

Now, do you remember what I threatened to do at the beginning of this post? Yep - that's where I am now. Just thought you needed to know that. Hope I press the right button. :)

11 comments:

  1. Having seen Geoff's new awesome Mac, and he knows more than anyone about toys for the boys, I can imagine the big smile you have on your face right now. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe that Firefox and Opera do a Mac version.

    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/mozillafirefox.html

    http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?platform=mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellee - it is pretty amazing but there's heaps to learn, mainly about shortcuts.

    Thanks, Ian. I'm now in Firefox and all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wanted to know that last bit! Please tell me what this airport thing is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Airport Extreme - it's like a modem only you can run internet and printers off it remotely. So if there is naybe someone on his laptop in one room and others elsewhere, all can access the net and the printer from where they are.

    I'm currently in an armchair but I was also - er - elsewhere and took the computer with me.

    You should try it, Welshcakes but you need a Mac first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it the greatest to sit back in an armchair and blog away? I don't have the airport thing but I do have wireless networking with the upstairs computer room set-up.

    I don't believe you need a Mac to do it. After all cell phones and Blackberries do it too. I remember the first time our Italian friend came to our house with his new laptop (Windows based) and connected to the internet from our living room. We did not have our wireless network at the time. I asked him how it worked. With him being a scientist I thought he would know, but he didn't have a clue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The brolly will do just fine, Welsh.

    JMB - fascinating glimpse into your living room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often blog from the sofa via wireless over my dinky laptop (a Dell X300) that I got cheap from work during children in need week. (We had a handful of them surplus so everyone could buy a lottery ticket for £1 and the lucky handful could buy one).

    Truth be known, I do most things from the laptop now, although the main PC has the big apps on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work James, this development should improve your online quality of life no end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shades, Wolfie - certaqinly easier now although I'm still on dial-up. The bstds didn't instal the cable.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.