Wednesday, October 24, 2007

[here today] gone today

Wonder if Colin Campbell heard anything of the lightning which struck a schoolground in Adelaide?
Principal Roger Nottage said the 33-year-old maths and science teacher was supervising the lunch break when lightning hit a nearby tree.

"He was probably five or six metres from a tree that was struck."

He said the lighting strike was completely unexpected.

"The teacher who was on yard duty said there was no real reason to expect lightning, there was some blue sky, and it had just started to have a little bit of drizzle."
What a way to go, eh? I remember those supervising days and what’s worse, we were under and near trees. Zap – no teacher. In the line of duty, so to speak.

6 comments:

  1. It's a bit like winning the lottery 8 times -- but bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'll be asking that teacher for my Lotto numbers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob - I'll have to work my way through that one.

    Courtney - :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I told you before that I saw 2 pupils struck by lightning straight after school when I was in my 1st teaching job in London. One died. It was horrific and I've never forgotten it. Even today, I think of the teacher who had that class for the last lesson of the afternoon, who must always have thought, "If only I'd let them out a second earlier / later."

    ReplyDelete
  5. He was on television last night. Apparently all lucid, but a little sore. The lightning struck a tree and he was standing next a metal bench. Apparently the fall hurt him more than the lightning itself. Port Broughton is about two hours north of Adelaide on the York Peninsula.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.