Friday, October 19, 2007

[courtney] on what free speech really means

Courtney Hamilton doesn't come out with posts all that often but when he does, they're usually gems:

Unlike some left leaning political commentators in the blogsphere, who argue that they 'support free speech, but...' - my belief in the right to free speech is unconditional.

That means there is no such thing as partial free of speech, or free speech for me, but not for them. As far as I'm concerned, free speech is not divisable - we either have it or we don't - and I say, we should have it all.

The worst thing about this whole affair is that the BNP and its supporters can now occupy the high moral ground and claim it is they who are the real champions of free speech.

So yes, seeing Nick Griffin and Irving standing on a public platform arguing that 'no one can take their freedom away' is enough to make me puke - but those on the left standing outside the Free Speech Forum with placards demanding bans are in mine eye, even more sickening.

4 comments:

  1. Courtney is a great guy, I have a lot of respect for him. He always speaks common sense that has been well considered. There may be one or two issues we have different views on, but that is healthy and I am glad you have written about him. He is a very considerate and intelligent man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That means there is no such thing as partial free of speech, or free speech for me, but not for them. As far as I'm concerned, free speech is not divisable - we either have it or we don't - and I say, we should have it all."

    I agree completely; I know a lot of people who are idiots and jackasses, but they still have a right to speak out, whether I agree with them or not. You can have free speech, or limited speech, there is no other classification that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellee - no argument there.

    BobG - this is not to you but to those reading this - get over to Bob's because there you will fine homespun, wry wisdom. I'm a big fan.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.