Thursday, October 04, 2007

[cecilia] you're breaking my heart

Simon and Garfunkel sang: " Cécilia, you're breaking my heart, you're shaking my confidence daily."

If I could only get an unbiased non-feminist to explain this woman, Cécilia Sarkozy, to me, I'd be appreciative. Take her absence in Bulgaria today, after she'd negotiated the release of the nurses a month ago:

L'absence de l'épouse du chef de l'Etat à Sofia, où elle devait être décorée en même temps que lui pour son rôle en faveur des infirmières bulgares, a été très remarquée. L’intervention de Cécilia Sarkozy dans la libération des infirmières bulgares a été "en tous points remarquable, et d'une certaine façon décisive même".

In a nutshell, the EU clearly paid some sort of largesse to Libya, Cécilia did her part and got the credit for the release of the hostages, Nicolas did his part for the EU and all was sweet. But when the denouement was planned in Sofia, the heroine did not roll up.

Whyever not? And why didn't she attend the earlier Bush function, a move widely seen as a snub? French regional newspaper Le Telegramme wrote in its Monday edition at the time:

"What does the wife of the president of the republic want? To live her life as she likes, without constraint? In which case, why does she accept invitations, like that made personally by Laura Bush?" it added, saying that U.S. first lady Laura had personally organized the lunch with Cécilia.

Please allow me to state that I'm no stranger myself to such behaviour. Months ago I missed an award to be made to me at a university function and it did not go down well. The thing was, I was really sick at that time so Cécilia Sarkozy's sore throat - well, it's understandable that it might have been true at the time of the Bush invitation.

Except that she was seen shopping the day before and the day after.

Forgive me but this seems just a little too Princess Di to me and whatever you might personally think of The Firm, they do attend to their commitments. In the case of the Bulgarians, it does seem to me a bit of a slap in the face towards that nation.

Plus, there is the question of the re-election a few years from now. Marie-Ségolène Royal has not gone away and a much loved Cécilia would surely go a long way towards keeping France blue?

2 comments:

  1. Marie and Cécilia do look remarkably similar in those photos. Let's hope Nicolas doesn't make a tragic mistake one night after a few state vinos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that, your lordship but I ws thinking along the same lines. What if Segie and Sarko were an item?

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.