Wednesday, September 05, 2007

[sports quiz] for non-sports buffs

Opera and literature more your thing? Not a problem. There are, in any field of human endeavour, some names which transcend the field and are known worldwide by people in all walks of life. Try these ten:

1. Who was the boxer who wowed them in the 60s, changed his name from Cassius Clay and whose modus operandi was "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee"?

2. Who socked it to Hitler in 1936, a black runner who took it up to the dictator and destroyed the myth of Aryan supremacy?

3. Who was the German film maker, a controversial figure, popular with Hitler, who is remembered for her superb camerawork at the 1936 Olympics?

4. Who was the film actor, who was also a champion swimmer, who played Tarzan?

5. He clocked 9.79 seconds for the 100 metres, was a Canadian and was disqualified for failing a drug test.

6. You don't have to know sport to know who is generally regarded as the greatest baseballer ever.

7. His footballing skills were amazing with Man U but sadly he was prone to drink. Some considered him the Best.

8. Some say the greatest batsmen ever, with a Test average of 99.94 but it is possible to find some Englishmen who don't think he was that good. Actually, he was amazing.

9. Captain Denis O'Kelly supposedly said: "[Insert name] first and the rest nowhere." The horse?

10. Has to be one of the greatest Formula 1 drivers of all time, despite only just having retired. If you can't get this, I'm afraid I despair of you, reader.

Answers here.

8 comments:

  1. Well, there was I thinking I could actually do some and then I read that you despair of me 'cos I couldn't do no. 10! Couldn't do 6 or 9 either. Shall I hang my head in shame?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did excellently and I wasn't having a go at you, personally, Welshcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does not speak for me that I even had no trouble with Eclipse, does it?

    By the way, people being REALLY SHOCKED that I should not this filmstar or that MEGA-song, I do always ask: Hm, and who was the Czechoslovakian goalkeeper in the World-Cup final 1962? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 7, not bad for me. Didn't get 7 or 9 or 3. You can see I'm knowledgeable about sport, just not British stuff.
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had nearly half of those right without resort to Google. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sean - a most important personage.

    JMB - well done on htat.

    Julie - non-google answers are to yur credit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seven this time James. I had no idea about the German one. I hate Hosses, they tried to kill me when I was younger and I have a long memory. The cricketer had me stumpted for a while. I had a few names none of which were the one you picked. Although I only know a few cricketers anyway.

    Better than I expected because I'm not a great sport watcher.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.