Monday, September 10, 2007

[sooner or later] the number comes up

Steve Fossett's Cheyenne - fastest around the world

Steve Fossett was an adventurer and these things happen to adventurers who continue for long enough:

The search process has been made considerably more difficult by the fact that Fosset didn't file a flight plan for his jaunt to reccy possible locations for an attempt on the land speed record. He did, however, have "full radio capability", but has ominously not made contact.

He's a type, like his mate Richard Branson. Ellen MacArthur, the fastest solo voyager roudn the globe, is another. Australia had its Dick Smith and they're characterized by restless spirits, a vision, a sort of maniacal bravery and some cash.

I had the first two and embarked on a few adventures myself [I'm in the middle of one now]. My mate and I were reputed to be the first to attempt circumnavigating tiny Port Phillip Bay in an open QB2 catamaran, I attempted a speed record for summer bobsled in Finland and broke my wrist in the process and I've just finished the design of my outrigger sailing canoe I plan to travel to Turkey in.

Ellen waves from B&Q

One thing you never think about is that you can come a cropper. Like when you play rugby, you're concentrating on the task ahead and injury doesn't enter your thoughts. I don't think it's bravery - it's more single-mindedness. Richard Branson shows this when he says:

"Steve is a tough old boot. I suspect he is waiting by his plane right now for someone to pick him up. The ranch he took off from covers a huge area, and Steve has had far tougher challenges to overcome in the past. Based on his track record, I feel confident we'll get some good news soon."

A school friend of mine who later joined a 70s pop group called Skyhooks was just such a type. He flew his helicopter into a cliff face in Queensland in 2001. Don't forget Steve Irwin either. I might have already told you about one of my brushes with death which still stays with me.

I was sailing my A Class cat and at the same time the rescue boat went off to rescue some kids, I decided to sail out wide off course, my trapeze snapped, the boat threw me five to ten metres and sailed off by itself and suddenly I was in pretty cold water and the feeling started disappearing and the thinking got foggy within about ten minutes. I reached the stage of happiness before being rescued on an off chance.

The class I sailed - you have to use a trapeze to sail it.

It happens. If you keep at these things long enough, it happens.

3 comments:

  1. I am much more risk averse as I get older. I have had a few incidents, when we went rock climbing in the rain with Wellies. We were very close to a significant fall a few times. I have also had some long and cold swims in winter Scottish rivers and getting jammed upside down against a large rock in a kayak in a raging French river from my kayaking days, falling asleep at the wheel coming back from skiing in Scotland and finally getting caught up in a nasty blizzard when cross country skiing in Scotland. The only reason we made it out of that one was we ran into the ski lifts and headed downhill.

    Probably many more, but these are some of the more memorable. Guys like Steve Fossett and the like are welcome to their endurance records. Not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is the voice of reason, Colin. As an English cricketer said when facing fast bowler Eddie Gilbert: "No more of that for me. I have a wife and family to think about."

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.