Thursday, September 13, 2007

[history quiz] ten to test you out

10 right - professor, 9, 8 right - too much time on your hands, 7, 6 - excellent result, 5,4 - who needs history anyway, 2,1 - join the club.

1. Only one South American country had a Monarchy. Which was it?

2. In which war did jet aircraft first fight each other?

3. At the beginning of the War of American Independence, what was considered to be the 14th colony?

4. The ancient region of Nubia is in which two modern countries?

5. The eruption of Mt Vesuvius that buried Pompeii also buried another town. Which one?

6. What was Operation Dynamo in World War II?

7. What was the name of the anti-missile missiles used by the US to shoot incoming Scud missiles in the first Gulf War?

8. Who first crossed the English channel by aeroplane?

9. Who succeeded Charles de Gaulle as president of France?

10. The Roman Appian Way went from Rome to where?

Answers here

5 comments:

  1. I got six, but I claim good grounds for being wrong on Nova Scotia. I briefly considered Nova Scotia, Florida and Bermuda.

    I omitted Florida as a recent acquisation.

    I plumped for Florida, as it was an English- as opposed to a Scottish colony, and brirfly sent reprsentatives to the first Continental Congress- the only colony to do so, yet stay British.

    Georgia was a close run thing though- people forget, it originally inclined to the Crown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too much time on my hands! That's the first time I've done anything like well in one of your quizzes, Sir James!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still in the bottom half of the class with 4 this time and two of those were good guesses!
    Congratulations on the increase in the speed of loading on your site. However one does like to have access to the blogrolls. I have seen some people with blogrolls in little drop down boxes. Would that help I wonder? Probably a stupid question, some techie will tell you I'm sure.
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crushed and Welsh - well done. JMB - keep at it nd you can access the Blogrolls - there's a link in the navbar above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a historian and I only got 4, that is a pretty hard test.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.