Monday, September 03, 2007

[exquisite coffee] it needs a little pazienza

Returning to the topic of coffee, I didn't explain myself well last time due to still being a bit green about all this but after another master class, I've finally learnt.

Each of you has his/her own method and I appreciate that but just try this the once and see how close it is to the best coffee you've tasted in a long while.

Requirements

1. Pazienza. Actually - not a little, lots of it. You rush any step, the enjoyment is curtailed;

2. Coffee beans - the fresher and better quality the better but the good news is that it is not vital - any coffee is enhanced using this method;

3. Sachets of cinnamon;

4. Basic grinder which can do fine ground;

5. Wooden or ceramic canister with a good seal in the lid;

6. Keep metal, like spoons, out of the way - use ceramic;

7. Fresh cream [or small long life container] - never milk and never nothing;

8. Some delicacy to have with it.

Each morning or previous evening

1. We are busy people and this takes fifteen minutes to do properly. Fine grind enough beans for one day only [don't buy it already ground because it defeats the purpose] and tip the coffee into your wooden canister;

2. Add two heaped teaspoons of cinnamon to 200g coffee, stir well and then put the lid on and shake. You're ready.

Whenever you need a cup

1. Boil the kettle and let it wait for 30 seconds after boiling [no more];

2. During the waiting period, put enough coffee to taste into the cup/mug [fine edged mugs are better] and almost immediately now pour the water via the edge of the cup, until half an inch from the top;

3. If you need sugar, now is the time to add it and stir, not later or you'll ruin the effect;

4. Immediately put a little 5 centimetre ceramic bowl or saucer over the top and let the mixture sit. No metal spoon anywhere because it drains off the heat too quickly;

5. Despite the modern lifestyle, despite your being in a hurry, 2 minutes is not going to hurt you now to wait. You must have pazienza because this is when the bitter taste and sludge move down to the bottom of the cup and the cup can not be jostled from then on;

6. Now the coup de grace - take off the ceramic bowl, get your ceramic teaspoon [or wood] and gently slide some cream over the spoon onto the top of the coffee - don't stir. The cream is not just for taste but it seals in the heat and flavour;

7. Now let the spoon go just under the surface horizontally and very, very gently stir - you'll see a swirling effect as if it comes from a coffee machine.

That's it and the only thing I stress is not to leave out any step e.g. the horizontal spoon. Any step left out and you might as well be drinking instant.

Hope you enjoy it. It will reward your patience.

6 comments:

  1. I'm a tea person except for the occasional cafe' au lait, but it sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my tea too, especially Earl Grey during the day, Lady M but sometimes the coffee has to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did enjoy reading this. I am allergic to milk or cream so take my coffee with nothing but other than that I will try it this way. Cinnamon is a good idea. We should all make more time for little "ceremonies" like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a tea person like Lady Macleod but were I to drink coffee this would be good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't drink coffee anymore so a bit wasted on me. I'll pass it along to my friends who are coffee aficionados.
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a deliciously wonderful post. We are ALL coming over to your place for coffee! I love herbal teas.I always have several packets of Twinings Well Being teas.Peppermint is great to soothe a tummy ache and I just love blackberry & nettle.I love the way it also makes my room smell if I have a cup at night,in bed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.