Wednesday, September 12, 2007

[efficacious speaking] some points

It's a risk putting up this post when it is basically only my own notes for the day on the topic of Efficacious Speaking.

Please remember - it's a point form skeleton only, has no meat on that skeleton and is only intended as a reminder for myself in a speech I have to give today. I have to add the meat from my own experience as I go.

Still, it might be worth looking at so it's below:

PART 1

1. There are different types:

a] report of facts, figures and dates, e.g. history, science reports

Style: Didactic delivery like a parrot;

b] speech to an audience

Style: combination of the report and the play [below];

c] play or dialogue type

Style: playing a role, acting skills required.

2. Looking at 1b in detail, certain things are required to deliver an excellent speech:

a] Knowledge of the topic - you have to have done your preparation. If you haven't had the chance, then there are ways around it:

[i] have a store of general facts and figures from life and connect them to your topic;

[ii] change it into a rhetorical question session e.g. how many of you know about …?

[iii] not always possible but if the rules allow, turn it into a forum where the audience input their knowledge or even turn it into a dialogue with a knowledgeable friend;

[iv] use it for an analogy for something you do know about e.g. this reminds me of …

[v] if all else fails, try to remember what has been said about this topic in the news, film etc. and give a highly personalized view e.g. I'm not at all sure about this because …

b] Passion for the topic which requires:

[i] knowledge in the first place;

[ii] developing a personal point of view and arguing it. All good research uses this, rather than the fact after fact, cut and paste method;

c] Connection with the audience - a speech will always fail without this:

[i] personal warmth - caring for the audience e.g. don't say: "Do you love holidays, I do."

[ii] sense of humour which comes through to the audience by:

- your manner

- carefully placed dry comments, anecdotes, rhetorical questions or even facial expressions;

[iii] not taking yourself too seriously;

[iv] eye contact - the 2 second rule;

[v] playing the room:

- the four corner procedure

- proximity or immediacy to wake people up;

[v] handling sleepers or talkers;

[vi] handling interruptions, always with:

- humour

- tact

- honesty if you don't know something e.g. I'll find out and tell you tomorrow if you like.

PART 2 [not to be given today and these are only some rough notes so far]

The speech itself

There are four major factors militating against a good speech:

1. lack of preparation - preparation gives confidence;

2. unreasoning fear;

3. time;

4. taking your speech too seriously without remembering why the audience is there:

a] to hear something interesting you might not have known before;

b] to enjoy the speaker and feel a bit special for these few minutes;

c] to not be bored by endless facts and figures.

6 comments:

  1. What does "efficacious" mean? Sounds rude.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Jeremy's hot topic, I hope he comes over and comments.

    I'm preparing for a presentation I have to make tomorrow and, as you know, am terrified of public speaking. I am planning well and will practice too, I think they are the key tips, as well as knowing your topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellee - N1 rule - they are your friends [they are, they are] and they only wish you the very best. Relaxed lady, knowing her stuff. That's all. That's the whole game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good notes and I hope it goes / has gone well. The other thing I'm always careful to do is to give pointers of where we are in the speech so that the audience isn't thinking, "Is she ever going to finish?" - But that wouldn't happen during a speech of yours, Sir James!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the very worst public speaker in existence, I'm sure. So nervous my brains fly out through my ears and I ramble on, even with my careful preparation. Luckily I seldom have to speak and avoid all jobs which require it.
    Thanks for the pointers but to late to help this one.
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ordo - producing the result you want. Therefore you must have an aim in the first place. Tehrefore you can't just speak aimlessly.

    Ellee - so do I and glad to see you here.

    Welsh - you're completely correct. I printed up this note sheet and distributed it for that reason - that they'd know when I'd end.

    JMB - anyone can become better at it - Dale Carnegie's wife had some great tips on it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.