Thursday, August 23, 2007

[thursday quiz] quotes about age

This time - hints about the personages who said them [in brackets]:

1] The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom. [Sage of Baltimore]

2] To me, old age is always 15 years older than I am. [Park Bench Statesman]

3] With age comes the inner, the higher life. Who would be forever young, to dwell always in externals? [first women's rights convention]

4] I can't get old; I'm working. As long as you're working, you stay young. [Gracie Allen]

5] It is a mistake to regard age as a downhill grade toward dissolution. The reverse is true. As one grows older, one climbs with surprising strides. [Amantine-Aurore-Lucile Dupin]

6] Sure I'm for helping elderly people. I'm going to be one myself some day. [Jimmy Carter]

7] A person is always startled when he hears himself seriously called an old man for the first time. [The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table]

8] I am not young enough to know everything. [All art is quite useless.]

9] He who is of calm and happy nature will hardly feel the pressure of age, but to him who is of an opposite disposition youth and age are equally a burden. [Aristocles]

10] I have enjoyed greatly the second blooming that comes when you finish the life of the emotions and of personal relations; and suddenly find - at the age of fifty, say - that a whole new life has opened before you … [Mary Westmacott]

And this is them:

[Agatha Christie 1890 - 1976]

(H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956)

(George Burns 1896 - 1996)

(Oscar Wilde 1854 - 1900)

(Bernard M. Baruch 1870 - 1965)

[Lillian Carter, in her 80s]

(Oliver Wendell Holmes 1809 - 1894)

(Elizabeth Cady Stanton 1815 - 1902)

(George Sand 1804 - 1876)

(Plato 427 BC - 347 BC, The Republic)

Answers here.

3 comments:

  1. To add my 2 favourites...

    1/ You know yo are getting old when it takes you twice as long to look half as good.

    2/ 75 y/o is a great age- you are still young enough to be asked to do things, but old enought to say,"no."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two and one was a guess.

    I hope the second quote in Ubermouth's comment is true, being rather close to being able to verify it or not.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.