Thursday, August 23, 2007

[live crane blogging] passion in metal

This is the closest I could get to the look of the place over the road. Now imagine a second building and second crane, not so far away and I'm much closer to the action than this.

I 've written before of the ballet of cranes and how the giant triangualized arms sweep through the air at twentieth storey level but I've never seen what I just saw a few moments ago.

Two cranes making love to one another.

In public.

13:32 The male red crane is tending to one new house and the female gold crane is tending to another, slightly shorter building, a short distance away.

13:41 Both coil in their cables and Red [the taller, thicker crane] brings his gantry tip to the pointy crown of Goldie and massages her on the peak.

13:45 Clearly enjoying it, she swings her own golden gantry round and starts rubbing cables against Red's flanks.

13:52 They pull apart for a breather and to reposition themselves then Red moves the head of his gantry to the foot of Goldie's and she brings her head round to his end and locked together in an embrace, the cables whir.

13:58 I start writing this.

14:12 My mate phones and I read him this so far. But wait - things are changing - Goldie has now swung up and over Red's gantry and has lowered hers right near the control hut near the centre.

14:18 My mate tells me I need another woman.

The photos I found of cranes are not all that beautiful but the ones across the road here are something else. I'm going to ask my [other] mate tomorrow to take some shots of them and I'll post them for your delectation. We'll try to catch them in mid-act.


5 comments:

  1. That is such a coincidence! I've been taking photos of cranes with the intention of blogging about them. Only mine will just be about their beauty, and strength in fragility; I won't have them bonking in public. I'll save that for the squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'll look forward to the photos. No youtube video possible?
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz - I look forward to it.

    JMB - I'll see what we can do tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James

    Why not do a time lapse sequence over a couple of days?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you probably do, darlin'. "Crane ballet" is a lovely description. In Cardiff at Xmas some workmen would hang fairy lights along their cranes for us all to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.