Wednesday, August 15, 2007

[lit quiz] know your holmes

Quite simple - name the story plus answer the specific questions:

1] None did come for a week, and then yesterday morning I found this paper lying on the sundial in the garden I showed it to Elsie, and down she dropped in a dead faint. Since then she has looked like a woman in a dream, half dazed, and with terror always lurking in her eyes. It was then that I wrote and sent the paper to you, Mr. Holmes.

Name the villain. Abe ……

2] 'To act, Sherlock - to act!' cried Mycroft, springing to his feet. 'All my instincts are against this explanation. Use your powers! Go to the scene of the crime! See the people concerned! Leave no stone unturned! In all your career you have never had so great a chance of serving your country.'

'Well, well!' said Holmes, shrugging his shoulders. 'Come, Watson!

What was the other story where Mycroft appeared?

3] "One moment," I asked. "Did the stable-boy, when he ran out with the dog, leave the door unlocked behind him?"

"Excellent, Watson, excellent!" murmured my companion. "The importance of the point struck me so forcibly that I sent a special wire to Dartmoor yesterday to clear the matter up. The boy locked the door before he left it. The window, I may add, was not large enough for a man to get through.

What was the name of the property where the action took place?

4] "Well, I thought as you do," said Lestrade. "On the other hand, this Morse Hudson is the purveyor of busts in that part of London, and these three were the only ones which had been in his shop for years. So, although, as you say, there are many hundreds of statues in London, it is very probable that these three were the only ones in that district. Therefore, a local fanatic would begin with them. What do you think, Dr. Watson?"

Who was the historic figure?

5] She's a beautiful woman, but she can be as hard as a man. She was angry when I left her, and so she doesn't want me to marry another woman. I know that she will send this photograph to the Saxe-Meningen family, and then there will be a terrible scandal. We must find the photograph before she sends it!'

Who was the beautiful woman?

Answers here …

3 comments:

  1. Ah well.
    Three out of five.

    Failed the first and fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only knew the last one. Not a Holmes fan or a fan of any detective fiction though I did read all the Holmes stories long ago, for the style. Excellent quiz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going to play today. I never liked Sherlock Holmes either, so I won't bother reading the quiz and just accept my zero.
    My son is an aficionado, rereading the stories regularly, so I'll send it to him and see how he does.
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.