Sunday, August 19, 2007

[homelessness] there but for the grace …

Whenever I briefly glimpse this topic, I shudder. At the keyboard of my computer now, surely I'm lightyears from it.

But am I?

Father David Holdcroft, refuge organizer, describes the common elements connecting the homeless, as he sees them:

Few had married. Mothers, in the case of the men, sometimes figured strongly in their lives, but fathers were almost universally absent, emotionally distant or violent. Always there were deep feelings of rejection associated with family.

Along with rejection there was always a sense of displacement, a sense that life was not where it should have been, that the normal growth and development of life had been radically interrupted by something or someone. Such interruptions are surely relatively common but, in the case of the homeless, there had been no recovery, no resumption of a "normal" life.

"Normal growth and development of life had been radically interrupted." "A sense of displacement." I've read the stats on mental illness, cost of housing, governmental displacement of populations such as the one coming up in the next five years and so on.

Seems to me that intellect plays a huge part - reasoning power. For example, here in the fSU, everyday can be your last and that's them telling me that. Me - I still have vestiges of that implicit western faith that things can never go suddenly awry in one's station.

It's not so. I can be on the street within a month but, I say to my friend: "We're in demand, you and I; we'd always find a place."

He looks quizzically and murmurs: "Pok'a," meaning "for now".

And he's right. Gradual loss of memory, slight eccentricities starting to appear, a few wrong moves, angry reactions and our word-of-mouth clientele melts away with our reputation. Reputation is everything in this country, my friend says.

If you don't have the extended family, then you need a network of well-placed connections. Not necessarily highly placed but well-placed, according to needs. Every single person here survives only on those connections. Family is dependent. It doesn't save the man and this is still a patriarchal society.

Truth is, I'm dislocated. There are no roots here and my roots in Britain and Australia have withered and died away. There are still a few former friends over there. So here I currently am, enjoying a tenuous status out of proportion to my true state but I only need to annoy one highly placed official and I'm blackballed.

That's the end of food on the table and no family to throw you any crumbs. Suddenly, regulations which once passed you by now crowd in on you and life doesn't bear thnking about. You can't survive on the street here without both intellect and language, the latter equally important .

The beggars you see at the crossroads are mafia run - the cash goes to the man in black and the beggar gets some soup to drink. You do not want to be in that situation, any more than in a London dole queue with a landlord beating on the door every Friday for the exorbitant rent.

The only solution is to trust the promise of the Lord that you'll be looked after but it also helps to think laterally. Instead of descending to the street - fly to Canada or Australia, all documentation in order and the last of the money at the ready. Then you can use your wherewithal, your ability to start up again.

As long as you have that ability of course. Age first kills the resolve, then the health and finally the reasoning power. Then you're gone. Interesting article I read, which challenges:

Define Homeless: 'An inadequate experience of connectedness with family and or community.' This fact is now recognized by Habitat, the United Nations Human Settlements Programme.

When I see the poor unfortunates on the street denied even basic hygiene, Father Holdcroft's view comes home that there can be intellect there, a sort of self-worth, even past achievements but that there is always some sort of dislocation, a missing link.

There, but for the Grace of G-d, go I.

Of course I have another cunning plan ...


[Crossposted at Tiberius Gracchus' site]

8 comments:

  1. It is this truth which shows the lie which is the welfare state. Even though we are told we have a safety net, it's not entirely true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a very thought provoking post. you never know do you, when catastrophe of whatever ilk might strike? I remember when I was wee I had a game I would play where I was blind, then deaf, then could not use my right hand.. Practicing for "just in case". Of course my belief is if you are ready, "just in case" won't come. We of the west think we are safe, we are immune from the life you describe, but as you say - a chain of events... always good to have a backup plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article James. I recall when I lived in Canada ( Ottawa) which was the coldest capitol in the world in winter, and homeless people used to try and sleep in the foyer of our building at night. The superintendant would get complaints and kick them out. This used to bother me ,for who could begrudge them a bit of inadequate shelter from the elements? One such fellow I took into my apartment. I let him have a bath and fed him and let him sleep on my couch for a few days, while I contacted Social Services to arrange a place for him to stay.
    I never did it again as I was lectured by my mother that I had no street sense and would end up with a knife in my back. The next time I just stepped over the person in the foyer. I heard several days later that he was kicked out and died in the snow that night.
    One shouldn't always listen to their mother.
    The superintendant asked me out on a date, I refused because who wants to date soemone who would kick people out into the snow like garbage?
    There is something terribly wrong with ANY country that will spend a gazillion dollars on war and let their citizens die on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe in a better oraginzed ,less corrupt form of communism where there is an equal distribution of assets between all.Why should some have so much and some nothing?Given that we all only have one life no one is more entitled to enjoy theirs more than the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gavin - that's right. The welfare state doesn't work.

    Lady M - the back up plan often doesn't take into account the sudden drop out of your world.

    Uber - right, right right with your feelings for your fellow human. Wrong, wrong, wrong with your communism. Do not forget I live in such a state which still has the laws and the bureaucracy from the soviet era.

    The test is - no one under 50, no one, wants a communist state here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thought of it really terrifies me, too, and I also think, "there but for the grace of god... " Interesting to read more about how society /business functions there. I also get very frightened about final illness because I have no family. But... carpe diem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right about this James and I'm sure it know it is not only in the fSU. I think in the USA,extended sickness could cause this in a flash. We always think it's alcohol or mental illness, but that is not always the reality.
    Political umpire was talking about this recently and said in Britain there are a lot of former soldiers on the street.
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have an ex-professor living on the streets of Swansea. It can happen to anyone given the right combination of catastrophes and mental health.

    There but for the grace of God.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.