Sunday, August 12, 2007

[geelong] confession time

Well, confession time. There was a real British colony in one particular seaside town in Australia where my father's family emigrated and they all followed the same football team.

I also followed them during my time in Australia and secretly ever since. You see, my real team, the Crazy Gang, is no more and rather than transfer allegiance, I prefer to go back to a competition I know. That's the boring part.

Also boring for most of you is that today Geelong took the "minor premiership" in Australia. It's a nice accolade but doesn't count for much in the playoffs, which are often won by the 2nd, 3rd and 4th placed teams. Again boring for you.

Where the interest comes in is the character of this team. Many supporters have no hair left after years of supporting them and the women are drawn and haggard. They are a soul-destroying one-town team with a reputation for sporadic, unstoppable brilliance and infuriatingly appalling performances.

They can beat the league leaders one week - thrash them - and next week lose to the wooden spooners.

Once I was at a game at the hated Collingwood headquarters Victoria Park and after a few cleansing ales, it was time to visit the outhouse and it was dire. There, in the urinal where it belonged, was a document.

Naturally I picked it up and read it and discovered it was Collingwood's game plan against our navy and white boys. Also naturally, I got it straight to Geelong HQ and was thanked for it.

What it said was cruel:

Geelong are the greatest team of front runners in the league. Play at less than 100%, give them the slightest sniff of victory and they'll play like men possessed. But hit them hard, close them down and they hate it. This is the only way to beat them.

Trouble was, that also describes me to a tee.

Take a woman, for example. Give me the least sign, just a second glance or a slight faltering in her manner, indicating she might be interested and I'm on the warpath … subtly of course. Make it clear she wouldn't give me the time of day and that's me gone. Playing too hard to get has never worked with this blogger.

What about you? Is your team's ethos and character similar to yours? Is that why you follow them?

Unfortunately, Geelong have a very bad record in playoffs, so I'm saying nothing. I read that they're different to the old Geelong. Hmmm. I'll wait for that last day in September, thanks.

For the record:

Club

Pts


1

Geelong

64


2

Hawthorn

48


3

Port Adelaide

48


4

West Coast

48


5

Kangaroos

48


6

Sydney

44


7

Collingwood

44


8

Brisbane Lions

38


9

St. Kilda

38


10

Western Bulldogs

38


11

Adelaide

36


12

Fremantle

36


13

Essendon

36


14

Melbourne

16


15

Carlton

16


16

Richmond

10


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for that Traitor. Most of the sensible Adelaide Footy Fans are in mourning because of the loss today, putting them out of the finals for the first time in a while. Adelaide had a lot of bad luck this year with injuries. It will be interesting to see whether South Australia will get behind Port Adelaide, who have exceeded expectations. Unfortunately it is a bit like Rangers and Celtic. Even I, who has only been here for 5 years would rather another team won than Port Adelaide.

    It is interesting that the Minor Premiership, which is really the hardest thing to win is not really rated as an achievement. The only thing that counts is how you do on that day in September at the MCG.

    Onya for sticking with Geelong. They have a very good team this year, with very little of the inconsistency that plagued them in the years that I have watched them. They also have a very good home field advantage.

    Our office in Melbourne is just around the corner from Victoria Park. It is a run down shell, just used for the VFL now. Collingwood play most of their games at the MCG now. Now that is something that intrigues me, is how could so many Australians hate Collingwood. Was that the case when you were in Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting confession, James. I like the way you subtly weaved a "woman" angle into this post. But a woman needs a little encouragement, too! As for me, I'd need an affidavit from the Pope to convince me a man is interested. I can't answer your questions about teams as I don't follow any, though I did cheer for Italy in the World Cup and will sing "hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" when Wales is playing - but that's as far it goes. I've been known to go along to a rugby match with a beau and not know who won.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collingwood has always been hated, the arrogant pack of bastards. So has Carlton but they're currently eating humble Elliot pie. So you're a Croweater, eh, football wise?

    So, let me understand, Welshcakes - I have to apply to the Pope, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Football? I take it you mean Australian Rules and we Sydneyites don't give it the time of day.
    It was very popular for a time here on an obscure sports channel, but it has disappeared again.
    A very fast high scoring game so very spectator interesting, with big husky players.
    I have so many possibilities when I think of football: soccer, rubgy union, rugby league, Australian rules, Canadian football, USA football. Note I now list soccer first, a taste acquired after I left Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice - :)

    JMB - Oh I don't know. Sydney's been doing well these last few years - they even won the flag.

    Welsh - :)

    Ms Smack - Who's your team then?

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.