Friday, August 10, 2007

[feminism] a fine answer to a supposed detractor

Welshcakes has answered my posts on radicalism:

First of all, let us remember that throughout history, there would have been no change without those who were willing to be strident, to break the law for what they believed in and even to risk their lives for it.

In the following paragraph, if you take out the word "feminism", which claims the credit for women's advances and substitute the word "women" for the people who actually achieved it, then I agree that:

[Feminism], in winning the freedoms and rights that women in western countries now enjoy, was and is a necessary movement, for once freedoms have been won, they have to be protected.

Welshcakes, of course, correctly observes:

Where it all goes wrong, I believe, is when we say, “Ok, we’ve got those so now let’s get more rights and freedoms than men have.” I have never, for instance, gone along with the “wages for housework” idea for none of its proponents ever stopped to consider that single women have to do it as well, and certainly nobody was going to reward us.

This was my point all along. It was radicalism, not feminism, which I was attacking but feminists might tend to overlook that. The next part, strangely, I cannot agree with:

And, however “hard” running a home might be, it cannot, just cannot, be compared with competing in the ruthless, target-setting environment that is the world of work today.

I'm in this "ruthless, target-setting environment" now and I also have to run the home and of the two, I feel the latter is far harder, especially when there is a family. Welshcakes is an adept - just look at her productions - so she might feel the former is harder.

It's a lovely post and argues the case for feminism very well. The feminist lobby could do worse than to snap up her text, as JMB is doing and use it as a bulwark against the sorts of incursions I've seemingly been trying to make.

If you haven't already read it, here it is again.

6 comments:

  1. This is not anti feminist, although I'm a supporter of maleism, but that aside. It is wrong to suggest that there would have been no change unless people had been prepared to break the law or to risk their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the old uprising versus war of attrition argument. Uprisings are spectacular but constant gnawing away gets the results - look at the situation in education today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I amnot an ardent feminist but I od believe in women having rights and not being treated as inferior. One forgets though that there is a difference in the sexes and so equality is not always what is best for mankind.When faced with life or death situations, fire rescue, being held hostage, a lover on the horizon I would much prefer that I was being approached by a man that a woman's libber.So kill me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I see nothing wrong with the use of the word feminism and then having a division of radical feminism which you can attack all you like. That's not to say you shouldn't attack feminism if you want to, because surely mistakes have been made by everyone.

    Also don't forget many men supported women in their various efforts to achieve what they have. So I don't want to change the word feminism to women as you are suggesting it. Many men will say they are feminists.

    Regarding the home front, I've done both. Worked full time, taken care of a huge house and garden and managed the finances because I was better at it. Of course the family members all pulled their weight, otherwise it would not have been possible, although I am a pretty capable Type A person.

    A gracious post in reply to Welshcakes very good post, James.

    Funnily enough I agree with both of you in some things and neither of you in others. We've all come to our own and sometimes different conclusions and opinions based on our own experiences which is what makes discussions between us interesting on the whole.
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for your nice words about the post, James. I don't think I'm an adept - I can cook and love that but I can't sew to save my life and I hate housework! Auguri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uber - :)

    JMB - "which is what makes discussions between us interesting on the whole" Amen to that.

    WCL - modesty unnecessary. Your talent shows through in many fields.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.