Tuesday, August 07, 2007

[boris reassessed] a blogger can be wrong

In shape and ready to assume the mantle

Now you've gathered that the thing this blogger dreads above all else is to be labelled a hypocrite and so, when he wrote, insignificantly, here:

Note the Bullingdon eyes. This is one aristocratic Rottweiler of a candidate.

and

There is a deep disrespect for and indifference towards what others hold dear in the Bollinger modus operandi and by extension, in Boris himself,

Tom Paine took exception and opined:

Is it me, or is this post unadulterated snobbery? Your youthful escapades differ only from those of the Bullingdon Club in that the members of the latter paid for the damage.

Tail firmly between hind legs. Why am I railing against a fellow maniac? So when I read Prodicus' thing about Boris and bearing in mind Lady Ellee's appreciation:

The reason I like Boris Johnson is because he is obviously very intelligent (and I have a weakness for brainy men), and the way he tends to smile and charm his way through life, through his various gaffes,

… well, so OK, I was wrong. Prodicus then quotes Tim Hames' comparison with Milligan:

For instance, when he was asked by an officer who found him lurking in an “inappropriate” place “Milligan? What are you standing there for?” he replies: “Everybody's got to be standing somewhere, sir.” It can be on this logic alone that Boris Johnson is standing for Mayor of London.

Hames continues:

Four candidates have been selected by the Conservative Party to woo the activists and then members — plus anyone else who wishes to participate in the process. They are Mr Johnson, Mr Neverheardofhim, Ms Neverheardofher and Mr Neverheardofhimeither.

He then offers three reasons Boris should withdraw:

1] He will not be able to be the Boris he has become.

2] Boris is incapable of maintaining discipline until next spring.

3] It could easily be the end of his political career if only because of timing.

When I moseyed on over to Longrider and read:

It’s starting to look that way. I happen to like Boris. Indeed, I frequently share his views. This is because Boris supports such liberal concepts as free speech, freedom of association and so on; the hallmarks of a civil, civilised society,

… Well, it was time to do this post.

Vote 1 Boris!

… and this time I mean it. I desperately want to see how the lovable rogue handles the 2012 Games. I bet the IOC won't know what hit them.

For that reason alone you should give him your hard-earned vote. Hell, he might even make a good fist of it, with absolutely no breaking glass.

Boris is Mayor and Prodicus is his prophet

11 comments:

  1. I've pressed palm, clinked classes with Boris on a couple of occasions at conservo-shindigs (I'm not claming we're mates or anything) and he struck me as a very intelligent and compassionate man. Just the tonic London needs.

    Bold of you to back-track on your previous position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a while to compose myself after reading the tagline on this post. I am honoured. (And I have stopped laughing, finally.) I am going to have it inscribed on a marble plaque. Glad to have you among the Bloggers for Boris. And congrats for being one of the few bloggers I have found who are man (embraces woman) enough to admit to a change of mind after some more thought. If only politicians could find a way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, he would look nice in the robes, wouldn't he?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prodicus - delighted to re-establish contact and hope it continues. Let's get an Elect Boris going. May people use the photo [linked]?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photo, my lord, is one I nicked from... I forget where. You have my permission, of course, but I don't know about the actual copyright owner. It might have been Theo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Tories can win this with the right candidate. I haven't rechecked the 2004 result before commenting here, but I think the swing needed isn't very large.

    Boris is their best shot against Ken, by a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Humble Pie indeed James. I like the theatre of this political contest. It has all the elements that you see in US Presidential Elections. Man against Man. May the best person win. Theo did the original art work I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be absolutely delighted for Boris to be the Lord Mayor of London so long as it prevents him becoming the Mayor of London. Two different posts...

    Sorry to be a pedant.

    xD.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apologies to Alderman John Stuttard - now corrected. Thank you, el Dave.

    Wolfie - is there anyone you haven't met?

    Crushed, Colin - good points. I'll check with Theo.

    Liz - you softie.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.