Monday, July 23, 2007

[desert island dilemma] five from ten


It's been done to death but let's do it again, just this once. You have to choose five of the ten variants, [no combining two as one and no other choices]. The island is as in the pic, no more, no less.

You reach it by a boat which can hold four people but two places are filled with the things you're taking. There are birds in the trees but not many. The boat is too small to take to sea but it can be used around the island and there are fish in the vicinity.

There is a patch of nice soil on the shady side of the island. It gets quite cold at night. There are no predators either on the land or from the sea or air. Rain does fall seasonally.

1] Combination blow up mattress and blanket for two;

2] Fishing gear but no bait;

3] A nice, strong man*;

4] Water desalinator which works on solar power;

5] A delectable, yet useful girl*;

6] Flint type fire maker;

7] Cutting and digging tool combination set;

8] All kinds of seeds in a pack for food and for growing trees;

9] Two months compact food pack until things grow;

10] The last variant is a choice of your own but must have cost under $US200 and can't be a form of transport.

* If you take both, you also lose two from the five choices because the extra person would occupy the space. That means you'd take the two people and only one other item.

16 comments:

  1. 3,5,6 and 7.
    Reckon it would work best that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't, Crushed. You didn't read it through. If you take 3 plus 5, you only have room for one otehr item.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Water desalinator which works on solar power;
    Two months compact food pack until things grow;

    These will keep me alive and energised while I explore to find permanent fresh water, a good place to set up my homestead, sus out the local edible critters and plants, etc, and time to sow some of the seeds (although 2 months is insufficient for anything useful to grow to edible size)

    Then to assist my on-going survival;

    Fishing gear but no bait; ( I can dig for grubs / worms or use shellfish as bait)
    Cutting and digging tool combination set; ( to build shelter, butcher any animals I trap / fish I catch)
    All kinds of seeds in a pack for food and for growing trees; ( already covered ~ for future survival)


    Sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would take my iPod and a case of Scotch...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't take anything, preferring to walk around until I found the film crew from Lost. They'd have lots of supplies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I meant 2.
    The girl, the fishing gear, the tools and the fire maker.

    That's right surely?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How long did we have to stay?If it is forever, the man ( providing he is a mute), the water desalinator, fishing gear, seeds, bed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I would need 6- I would need the flint to start a fire and cook my fish. I would seduce whomever makes the rules into bending them and giving me a fire starter.
    Have you got my invite yet James?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why take the girl? She'd only run off with the postman whilst you were slaving away trying to catch fish. The a Judge would award her half of your fishing gear, and thus you would starve to death.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No. 1, no. 3. Dunno what no. 4 means but it sounds as though I might need it! James, you missed out mascara [without which, I don't play]! That leaves my own choice for last one and it has to be lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The mattress, the man, the water desalinator, the fire flint, and the seeds.

    Can it be any man I like?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been good so far. I was jsut thinking about these things yesterday when I was thinking of Welshcakes, Uber and Ruthie a bit. And Liz. And M&M. And Shanai. And JMB. I'd better stop this ....

    Anyway, I'd take 5, 6, 7 and 8 - that's a given. Then it's either 2 or 9 and there's the rub. With cutting gear we could make the rod. Yet we have to eat now. Fish isn't enough.

    Perhaps 9.

    Crushed - good choices;
    Harry - well thought out;
    Mutley - girl and Scotch I think you mean;
    Colin - you're a survival expert;
    Uber - the mute applies to the girl, I think, no?
    Harry - good 2nd point and close to my actual experience but shhhh - don't tell anyone;
    Welsh - mascara - on a beach?
    Ruthie - good choices and yes - you get to choose the man.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have done these in management training a few times. It is always surprising what the experts choose and what the mere mortals select. I am not sure what it says about management.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with Colin, although you might also bump into Bear Ghrylls making his SAS wilderness survival show in which case there's bound to be a luxury hotel not far away

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd take;

    5 x 2 plus 2, 7 and 10 which would be a Comprehensive survival kit which includes medical supplies and a bow and arrow or something.

    Now because women are generally smaller than blokes I've not reduced the space and the statement is if I take both and I didn't.

    I believe I have followed the simple rules.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have indeed followed the rules. Colin and Rilly - it's a solution.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.