Saturday, July 07, 2007

[blogfocus saturday] post hiatus blues

After quite some hiatus, Blogfocus has returned and some of the newer readers might not know the format. You soon will.

1] Sometimes a blog can hardly be called a blog in the sense which we know it. Sueblimely runs a "help" blog which can lead you to help hints, templates and anything you need to know about the mechanics of blogging. Plus she does my own trick and introduces new blogs. A useful site to stop by. For example:

A couple of sites appealed to my perhaps slightly offbeat sense of humor this week.

· Halliburton's One-Size-Fits-All Climate Change Solution

· Winners of the "I Look Like My Dog" Contest

2] Also in the help and advice category is Simply Social, with Caroline Biggs. More than useful if you're a woman with conservative leanings:

"Simply Social is great, it has taken me to events that I would never have gone to on my own and many which I would not have even heard about! I have had a great deal of fun and in addition I have made new friends. I am happy to recommend Simply Social to any woman who likes to go out and have a bit of fun". [Yvonne]

3] Staying with the Carolines for now, Caroline Hunt is not just a honey, she's the 56th best Conservative blogger on the internet:

Anyone who follows movie news will have seen the various reports coming out of Germany about Tom Cruises next role. He plays Col. Claus von Stauffenberg and it's going to be awful. Sorry but it just is. Hollywood does assassination of Hitler with the director of X-Men. It's just not going to work.

4] David Johnson is wandering the ether on the other side of the pond and now he's wandering the park:

It's been several years since the last time I watched the fireworks. Mostly because It's been several years since the last time I felt patriotic, or that America deserved to celebrate anything. Here in town, going to see the city works meant going to a park and laying down a blanket or setting up lawn chairs amidst a sea of strangers, over top soil soaked with old beer and last week's event.

5] I'd like to count Oddiya as one of our own Blogpowerers and many of you out there are not yet fully aware of the blogpower we have in our midst:

It is estimated that the mountain pine beetle has destroyed 40% of British Columbia's lodgepole pine since 1993. University researchers have now found evidence that the beetle is adapting to spruce as well.

6] The hillside is a great place to observe from and why go any further than another of our own Blogpowerers - MJW?

I saw something rather unpleasant on Saturday afternoon and it wasn’t just a scrappy game of rugby; on the way back from Twickenham, my fiancé and I broke our journey home in Croydon, to do a little bit of shopping. Walking across North End, which is basically the main pedestrian shopping district, going in to Debenhams, we walked past a group of black youths, males in their late teens, who appeared trying to get two bull terriers to fight each other.

Read the rest yourself.

7] Pink Acorn is not a bad name for a site and here she is in action:

Today I visited Second Life (SL), a virtual reality site. Like I need any more reality. I have been reading the "Sicily Scene" blog and the author was nominated for a BlogPower Award. Another blogger set up a room in SL to have the awards presentation. Once you register you can choose your wardrobe, among other things. So any-hoo, the first thing I do is change my clothes because, to me, I look like a slut. The choices I had weren't much better, but hey, it must have been good for someone as this guy walked up and asked if he could kiss me. I said , "NO", I must ask Uncle Guido first.

8] Bringing up the rear this evening is Phishez Rule's Sanity Optional and this blog is already attracting quite some attention:

So I got tagged by Ingsoc. There's this completely new and unheard of meme going around where you list eight random things about you. What? You've already heard of it. Damn. Here they are

1. I have size 10 feet. 9 and 1/2 in dancing shoes.

2. I always put my left shoe on first.

3. I once thought I could be a professional writer. This is not as close as I'll get.

4. I like old cemeteries. They feel so peaceful.

Next Focus will feature The Lone Voice. See you Wednesday.

4 comments:

  1. Some interesting new ones to look at here, James - I mean, your Lordship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great picks as always your lordship. As long as we have you, we are never at a loss for something brilliant to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was quite surprised to see my header up here. But it was nice. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) [Am I becoming lazier or is it that I'm all shy?]

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.