Sunday, June 03, 2007

[special jmb type quiz] try your luck

1] Vancouver is named after:

a. Captain George Vancouver

b. Captain James Vancouver

c. Captain Joseph Vancouver

2] Vancouver is located between the:

a. Strait of Jacquet and the Coast Mountains

b. Strait of Georgia and the Coast Mountains

c. Strait of Georgia and the Toast Mountains

3] The Port of Vancouver became internationally significant after the completion of the:

a. Suez Canal in the 1950s

b. Toronto Sewers in the 1940s

c. Panama Canal in the 1920s

4] The 2010 Winter Olympics will be centred in:

a. Banff and Calgary

b. Vancouver and Whistler

c. Victoria and Seattle

5] The major park in central Vancouver is known as:

a. Stanley Park

b. Laurel Park

c. Hardy Park

6] 40 years ago, the following happened:

a. John Lennon and Yoko Ono had their "Love In"

b. Apple Records went bankrupt

c. Sgt. Peppers was released in the U.S.

7] The next PM of the UK, barring a terrible accident, will be:

a. Angela Merkel

b. Gordon Brown

c. Nicolas Sarkozy

8] Voltaire's Maxim was actually written by:

a. François-Marie Arouet

b. Evelyn Beatrice Hall

c. Beatrice Evelyn Arouet

9] Tiberius Gracchus was a Roman troublemaker [social reformer]. His brother was:

a. Gaius

b. Marcus

c. Tarkus

10] ELP were a musical group of the 70s. The initials stand for:

a. Electric Light Provider

b. Eno, Loggins and Pitney

c. Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Answers here

8 comments:

  1. Seven.
    Redeemed myself from last time's dire performance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. Were the ones you didn't get the Vancouver ones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My God, I only guessed two out of the ten correctly, and one of those was number ten!
    Could my being from Houston Texas be a part of this?
    What I mean is...I know nothing of this particular geography or politic.

    It was fun though!


    sorry, I had to re-post my comment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, nine out of ten. Didn't know the Voltaire one. That's what comes of a scientific education in a non North American university. I was tempted to google it but restrained myself.
    Hope you had fun and I am happy to say that I'll be resigned to 2 or 3 next time since once I almost made my goal of 10/10.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now JMB is happy. Assuming he knows things about Vancouver. It looks like we need one for Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jack - I'd love to know what that self-deleted comment was all about. Next time you'll get 10.

    JMB - presume you did all right on the Vancouver ones?

    Bag - If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times - enough of this gender bending. JMB is a lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a city of Vancouver in Washington State as well, the bloke seems to have named pretty much everything in the Pacific North West after himself!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.