Saturday, May 19, 2007

[name the author] man of letters

C.S.Lewis

Which other man of letters is being discussed below?

'The lady was present at his introduction to one of the late Mrs Montague's literary parties, when Mrs Digby herself, with several still younger ladies, almost immediately surrounded our Colossus of literature with more wonder than politeness, and while contemplating him, as if he had been some monster from the deserts of Africa, he said to them, "Ladies, I am tame; you may stroke me".'

Answer here.

5 comments:

  1. Montague, like Montague from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet? Who am I kidding? I have no idea who it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither would I, Matt, if I hadn't had the answer at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeez James. I need to be a bit more cultured to do these.

    No quotes from Harry Potter or James Bond yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bag - give it time.

    Welshcakes - it wasn't easy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.