Thursday, May 24, 2007

[atlanticist quiz] questions across the pond [second round]

You ready there? OK, let's go:

1 Which two northern English counties are misnamed - they should retain the old suffixes -ria? [My opinion of course]

2 Bix Beiderbecke, Bill Bryson, Herbert Hoover, Cap Anson - need any more? Corn! Which state?

3 Which county adjoins seven others, inc. Shropshire and is landlocked? It's famous for a type of bull-terrier.

4 The twelfth-largest state by area, 60% live in the Twin Cities and the state is known as the "Land of 10,000 Lakes". Which state?

5 Which county, in Sassenach form, was Forfarshire? Some towns include Arbroath -- largest town, Auchmithie, Brechin and the Bridge of Craigisla?

6 America's Cup 1983, don't forget "Providence Plantations"; it's not an island and the state officially adopted the nickname “the Ocean State" as nearly one tenth of its inland area is covered by salt water. Which state?

7 One of the thirteen historic counties, most of it became Gwynedd later. Waterfalls and small lakes are numerous, the largest being Bala Lake. What was its name?

8 Big Kahuna. Which state?

9 This county was the traditional stronghold of the various O'Neill clans and lost much of its territory to Londonderry.

10 Area code is 907 and its name means "alaxsxaq", literally meaning "object toward which the action of the sea is directed". Which state?

Answers here.

10 comments:

  1. The people on this side of the pond don't think in 'counties'. We refer to cities/towns and states.

    Hard to pick out a county when there are thousands of them in the country ya know (67 in my state alone).

    And I see you're still kissing up to Ruthie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I knew which state you hail from, Lord Nazh - I think it's in the south.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressed with myself here. I got one wrong, Iowa.
    Though I admit Alaska and Minnessota were done by guessing. Your clues there might have been red herrings.

    The O'Neill question could equally apply to Donegal, btw- I just presumed- hoped- you had gone for Tyrone.
    Tyrone was Tyr Eoghain, the land of the Eoghanact branch of the O'Neils.
    Donegal was Tyr Conail (later anglicised to Tyrconnell, the land of Conailacht branch of the O'Neil. Derry City was in Tyrconnell, prior to the shiring of the north.

    btw, I think you'll find Cumbria is a post 74 county name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This 'state' was the site of the 1st Capital of the Southern Confederacy.

    Home to the famous ---- civil rights march (the name would give it away) and to the most watched Nascar race of the year (2 races each year).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got them all except No 7.


    Cumbria is certainly new. It merged Cumberland and Westmoreland with a wee bit of Lancashire - the bit my father came from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Six this time. I only got Alaska buy guessing from the clue. I stillvisit Cumbria on business and didn't know it had changed it's name.

    What's this about Ruthie? She sounds like she is playing hard to get at the moment. Wait a few weeks and things might change

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crushed - appreciate the info and well done.

    Lord Nazh - I know, I know - Delaware! They had slaves. So you're a Delawarian, eh?

    David - Cumbria in one form is quite ancient, as you'd know.

    Bag - I'm annoyed about boundary changes, that's all it is.

    Lord Nazh - sorry! Couldn't resist the above. The capital of the Confederate States of America was Montgomery, Alabama, from February 4, 1861 but Daytona is in Florida, so you've set a poser.

    You mention the civil rights march and the one I know was in Alabama, so where does Florida come in? This is a real puzzle!

    Now, Ruthie. What's with the questions? She's a fellow blogger like the rest of us so why the attention?

    Quizzes - think they might be getting better because they're a little more accessible than earlier. Well done to all above.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Five out of ten, all the North American ones of course.
    But I'm getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Either they're getting harder or I'm getting stupider! enjoyed it, James.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a feeling Maryland has tag like The Ocean State. I did ok, but the Welsh one stumped me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.