Saturday, April 14, 2007

[testimonial] found under a rock

Regulars would know I haven't got round to running testimonials on this blog yet but now I've been spurred into action by a particularly fine specimen, via Shuggy's blog, from an erudite and intellectual gentleman named "Will" who's a little upset with your humble correspondent:

The Higham fellow is a pathetic, sick individual. The use of 'marxist' as a 'boo' word is the mark of Cain. He embodies every bit of superstitious belief, ritual, taboo, violence, viciousness, exploitation, and ignorance of any creed known to man. Which (if we are being honest) shows all, and every historical connection with fascism. What an ignorant philistine he is. Imprecate vocabulary always is. F---wit.

With a tear in my eye, I confess myself touched by this fine piece of prose. I plead guilty to taking the name 'Marxist' in vain, may Karl forgive me. A fine commenter named Recusant obviously forgave me, as he came to my aid with:

Having said which Will, in your thoughtful and gentle tones, isn't it time for you to take your pills? And of course equating any person or argument with fascism is always a winner. Pot. Kettle.

To which the inimitable Urban Revolutionary replied with:

You should consider this Shuggy. Your blog attracts the most repellent reactionary scum at times. A bit like HP Sauce really. Time to reconsider your Burkean standpoint?

... continuing the Marxist tradition of turning on their friends. Russia, in particular has much to thank Karl for. Not.

Hope to include more Urban Jungle Classics from said Will at some later date. But thanks for the testimonial, Tovarish.

7 comments:

  1. Very good. I'm honoured by your attention.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, me again. Couldn't help noticing your misspelling of Това́рищ - Tovarishch is the English transliteration. Just for your notebook you know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, Will, it is 'товарищ' but the 'shch' might confuse the average non-Russian.

    Но, огромное спасибо за совет! [Кстати, Вы не знаете, где я живу?]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will, I think I would be wary of talking about the correct transliteration of Russian words...

    James, wouldn't it be fairer on poor old Karl to blame Lenin & co for trying to apply a theory based on industrial society to a largely agrarian Empire?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Poor old Karl's" followers had more than half of mankind to play with for the best part of a century and generated poverty and suffering everywhere. I suppose it's theoretically possible that if they had just held their heads at a slightly different angle, it might all have worked.

    It's going to need some pretty bloody tough revolutionaries to get any sane humans to submit to further experiments now though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought your point about academia trying to drive a nail into the coffin of Christianity without trying to understand it to be well taken, as well as your follow-up statement about Christianity is best left out of politics.

    Well said! I always appreciate a successful demonstration of civil discourse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom, I'm no flag-waver for either Marxism or Leninism, although I'm not much of a fan of unfettered capitalism, either. It simply seems to me that an awful lot of the suffering inflicted by Marxist-Leninist approaches is attributable to the latter's ideas about revolutionary zeal and the need for single-mindedness. There was something he said about omelettes and eggs that seems relevant at this point.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.