Sunday, April 08, 2007

[the smarties egg] the real issue in life

Now this is more in my line. I did the power and passion stuff of Easter in the last few posts [and regret not one word] but now it's time to get down to the real issue:

The Smarties Egg

Doctor Vee, always with his finger on the pulse, writes:

For the Smarties egg. This is brilliant.

You get loads of different spin-off mini chocolate eggs these days. Most of them can’t hold a candle to the original Creme Eggs. But the Smarties egg is just brilliant. It’s got a really nice inside that’s a bit like how a Milky Way used to be before they were white on the inside. And then, inside that creamy mush, sits a cluster of little Smarties.

Much better than the normal ‘let’s stick some gunk in a chocolate egg and see how many suckers buy it’ nonsense.

Then the Good Doc goes further and tackles a serious matter - boycotts, on which my view nearly coincides with the learned gentleman:

I eat all Nestlé products I can get my hands on to annoy People and Planet.

Seriously though, I have written about this boycott before but I can’t find it. In short, I am massively ambivalent about it because for one I don’t do boycotts because of the job losses involved and for another the issue isn’t nearly as simple as the busybodying pressure groups make out (the transmission of HIV via breast milk is the huge elephant in the room they somehow never manage to tackle).

I can add one more thing. I've been to the moccasin coloured stone Vevey, via ferry from Thonon-les-Bains and these were some of my happiest moments on the planet. I love that nook of the world and so Nestle, to me, cannot be the monster it's portrayed.

I know that's illogical but there it is. I'm only logical on Christianity [he smiles]. For another take on this vital issue, the Thunderdragon has posted here. [Pity he misses the point of Easter itself though, which actually says more than Christmas.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.