Monday, April 09, 2007

[sitemeter again] quite worrying, these people

Further to my own article, I just saw and am reprinting this article by Geek News Central in its entirety:

It has become obvious to me that the people behind Sitemeter are unwilling to respond to the allegations that a significant number of people have brought forth on their planting of third party cookies on their customers website visitors.

I have sent an e-mail every day since this story broke asking them to respond to the charges that have been levelled against them. It is in my personal opinion that people need to run as fast as they can away from this service.

I have been contacted by several major news services in regards to this story, and while I do not know when their reports will be out it is obvious that their is some interest out their in exposing what I think is a Betrayal of trust.

One thing for sure is that if anyone Google’s Sitemeter they are going to be able to read my article on the situation.

As for google, try googling "sitemeter clandestine".

4 comments:

  1. hi j,

    i can't get over this. thanks so much for spreading the news and keeping us all informed.

    i'm mighty glad i use www.statcounter.com. if you're looking for a new counter i'd recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They certainly should be tracking and responding to what is being said about them, just give them time. I wouldn't expect a response to an email, they must get thousands, but they should care about the viral info via blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James,

    I noticed that since I started this blog thing, my site mobility has certainly been slowed down. Of course, I have a plethora of anti-spyware installed. Maybe the slowness is due to the attempts to install the cookies. I still manage to pick up several tracking cookies daily. Maybe this is where they originate from.

    WM

    ReplyDelete
  4. James,

    I noticed that since I started this blog thing, my site mobility has certainly been slowed down. Of course, I have a plethora of anti-spyware installed. Maybe the slowness is due to the attempts to install the cookies. I still manage to pick up several tracking cookies daily. Maybe this is where they originate from.

    WM

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.