Wednesday, March 07, 2007

[rape ad] dolce and gabbana belatedly withdraw

I was searching around for a nice story to counterbalance my current shocking mood and the raft of grim posts I've posted in the last two days. Didn't have much luck - I came across this instead:

Italian designers Dolce & Gabbana will withdraw an advertisement that shows a man pinning a woman by her wrists after widespread criticism. "We have decided to cancel ... the advertising image that has caused such repercussions within human interest groups and individuals," Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana said in an emailed statement. "We were looking to recreate a game of seduction in the campaign and highlight the beauty of our collections," the designers said.

Let's have that again: "We were looking to recreate a game of seduction in the campaign and highlight the beauty of our collections."

Seduction? Beauty? Are these people sane?

5 comments:

  1. James:

    When you look at that photo, is your first thought violence?

    It says more about the people that see violence there than it does the advertiser :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I see aggression, it's a horrid picture. Do you think it was made simply for effect rather than promoting a product? It's certainly got them talked about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A man with no shirt, a woman in lingerie.

    Her on the ground, him on top... aggression isn't what I see when I look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My main objection is on aesthetic grounds. It's so woodenly staged and naf. And what are they trying to prove by it? That pack rape is current day and supercool? I'm not explaining it well. I mean, advertising wise, what's the desired effect? Shock, horror, get talked about as we're doing?

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.