Thursday, March 15, 2007

[ides of march] don't visit the theatre today

Everything all right over your way today? Nothing untoward happen? No stabbed bodies in togas or anything? Just checking like.

Caesar summoned the Senate to meet in Pompey's Theater on the Ides of March, 44 BC for the purpose of reading a petition, written by the senators, asking him to hand power back to the Senate. According to the Greek biographer Plutarch, a few days before, the soothsayer Titus Vestricius Spurinna apparently warned Caesar, "Beware the Ides of March." Caesar disregarded the warning.

Will you?

6 comments:

  1. I learned today that we actually have ides every month - most of them on the 15th, the rest on the 13th. It was an invention of Romulus, apparently.

    However, I didn't know that was why everyone knows about the ides of March ... I''d aways associated it with Kenneth Williams ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. March, May, July and October are on the 15th, Mutterings and Meanderings. The rest are on the 13th. Strictly, it has to be the old calendar.

    The Kenneth Williams theory is interesting. Kennis Williamus may well have been the originator and Romulus saw fit to cut him out of the cash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot all about that! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And pi day yesterday. Its been a momentous week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have learned something of interest here too. I shall check out the significance of this some more.

    Gracchi, hope all went well with your lectures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I await a betrayl still, only 20 mins left here. I am looking over my shoulder in case the dog attacks...

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.