Monday, March 19, 2007

[bobby sox] and don't forget poodle skirts

Girl in poodle skirt and bobby sox

Liz asks what bobby sox are. They're a bit before my time but this might help from Wiki:

Bobby soxer was a term coined in the
1940s to describe the overly zealous, usually teenage, fans of singer Frank Sinatra, who was the first singing teen idol. Typically, they would wear poodle skirts while rolling their socks down to ankle level.

Here is more about them. Frankie Avalon sang, in 1959/60:


When a girl changes from bobby sox to stockings
And she starts trading her baby toys for boys
When that once-shy little sleepyhead
Learns about love and its lilt
You can bet that the change
Is more than from cotton to silk.

If you haven't already reached for the paper bag, then what about penny loafers? Do you know what they were?

3 comments:

  1. But why a 'poodle' skirt? I cannot see the resemblance between that skirt and a small, curly-haired, yappy, French dog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, James, for the explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember wanting to grow up so I could dress like the girl in the pic! I never wanted to wear the sox, though... I remember Frankie Avalon. I liked the 1950s!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.