Thursday, February 15, 2007

[thursday] you can keep it

Between lunch time and ‘chas pik’ [peak hour], I can usually do the run into or back from town in 20 minutes and my record is 12 minutes. Today I left town at 1830 and now at 2035, I’ve just walked through the door.

The fSU is a country with only the barest lip service given to law and order and the moment unusual conditions prevail, it’s a signal for people to do absolutely anything they want.

There was one intersection where cars were hurling themselves into that intersection irrespective of functioning traffic lights and citizens were standing in the middle, blocking traffic in an effort to get their friends through. Cars were at every conceivable angle, like something from a chase film.

Not one policeman was controlling the situation. They were on the sides of other roads somewhere else taking money from passing motorists. I tell you – only aggressive driving got me through that intersection, only to repeat it at the next. So why the complete mayhem?

A bit of snow.

Well actually, quite a bit. Like 36 hours of it, non-stop. That’s all right usually but when the temperature alarmingly climbs to 0 degrees, you know you’re in trouble. It’s slush, cars are bogged everywhere, sliding into one another, let me give you an idea. In my carpark place, it was up over the hubs and I measured 20cm on the roof and bonnet.

Oh, by the way, you may have noticed no posts today. Internet down. The telephone also decided to go down in sympathy and then the car’s windscreen wiper connecting rod snapped in two and the car spent some time at the garage. Today was the day 47 new girls started and I had to meet and orient them. That part was quite nice, actually.

Lovely day. Lovely.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, the pic makes me feel so cold! Glad you had a nice day really, though.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.