Friday, February 09, 2007

[puzzle] strange goings on with higham

Explain this if you can and I 'm really not making any of it up:

I had plans last evening to do a follow up to the finance post and had written it in the form of a fisking of myself, disparagingly quoting myself from documents I have on file, which directly points the finger at who is behind Blair et al.

It goes on to speak of the coming credit squeeze and calling in of loans. The graphic was to be a photo of a US president with someone and it would have left no doubt in anyone's mind. It wasn't half bad.

The moment I tried to lift the graphic from Word to Paint to upload, the computer jammed and I eventually had to switch off at the wall - all of the regular buttons were immobilized. Then it wouldn't reboot, then it would but without keyboard.

I switched off again, took out all the leads at the back, puff-cleaned the area and put them back. Still nothing when I tried to reboot.

Suddenly, I had a brainwave. "All right," I said to no one in particular, "I won't run the post. Promise."

It rebooted and all went back to normal. I threw the post, as my part of the agreement.

7 comments:

  1. Big Brother IS watching you.

    By the way, we have two inches of snow and the city has ground to a halt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a well know feature written into Microsoft's OS to prevent dissent from the likes of you or me. The only known workaround is to express yourself in protracted, third-person (passive voice), self-depreciating prose that only an Englishman would understand to be a scathing indictment of those whom we suspect of underestimating our understanding of their malappropriated designs of global manipulation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like fate lent a hand there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a Blogger thing. You wouldn't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some -- many, in fact -- years ago, I was trying to reinstall Windows 95 and the damn thing just wouldn't play. People may well have had the same experience -- takes the best part of an hour whirring away happily, assuring you that it's installing and then, just at the last minute, it brightly tells you something's gone wrong and please try again.

    After my third unsuccessful attempt, my late wife said, 'Let me do it'. She began by looking straight at the machine and saying, in a calm, no-nonsense sort of way, 'Right. That's enough playing silly buggers. Either you install Windows properly or you're out of that window. And I'm not joking.' We lived in a second-floor flat at the time.

    Installed perfectly. No problems at all. As she said, you've just got to let them know who's boss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz - I can quite believe it.

    Wolfie - will take the advice.

    Ellee - sure that's so.

    Baron - thank you sir.

    Cityunslicker - if I take Wolfie's advice, you might.

    Notsaussure - you know, I truly believe in this thing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.