Friday, February 09, 2007

[dire commercials] pass the paper bag

One thing leads to another. Two Wolves is running a post on the American serial ‘Lost’, with a sickening line from the lead female and that got me thinking about sickening lines. The most sickening lines I’ve ever heard were in a Camay Soap commercial from the 70s:

Him [coming home]: Darling, where are you?

Her [in the bath, soft music in the background, light pink and white décor ad nauseam]: I’m up here, making myself beautiful for you. [She smiles sweetly at the camera and holds up a bar of Camay soap].

Pity because I’d really enjoyed that curry for dinner. There’s a brief paragraph about these commercials here.

What were the most sickening lines you’ve ever heard?

3 comments:

  1. I remember "Fabulous pink Camay" ads. Being an unhousewifely kind of girl, I used to hate those women dancing about with their floor polishes, as in, "Johnson's [I think it was Johnson's} are the polishes for furniture and floors - they're so easy to shine".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always found Chamberlain's radio announcement on the beginning of World War 2.

    sorry. bit serious....

    I can't remember the words but there were some terrible adverts with walking m&m's a couple of years ago that nearly had me smashing the telly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eventually, both became classics. No accounting for it, is there?

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.