Sunday, January 21, 2007

[snow] it’s falling, it’s falling, it’s falling

The snow came this morning – myriad great flakes of it in the air, in the sky, over the earth. All the jangling, mangled bits of metal and dull concrete roads, the trees, the fences – all are covered in icecream white smoothness.

If it continues, great mounds will build up at the side of hard packed paths where the grader came through. The weak sun will shine down over all and this man will be at one with the world.

I don’t know why I need snow. All I know is that when it comes, all is well and even the atmosphere changes, a hush comes over all as couples walk along paths, arm in arm and children laugh and throw snowballs [admittedly with rocks inside].

This got me to thinking. The place I’d most wish to live in the world, if I could arrange it would have:

# the sea or some body of water somewhere within range to sail on in summer;
# proper snow – great mounds of it, constantly through winter;
# good downhill skiing within range;
# temperatures of +28, in summer, down to -12 in winter;
# very pretty women;
# reasonably cultured language and accents;
# a bit of an old worldly atmosphere;
# simple, scrumptious cuisine;
# care for their aged, which is where I’m inexorably headed [just getting in early, that’s all].

So, where should this blogger be living? Where should you be living?

6 comments:

  1. I think maybe Aosta in Italy or Alps-Maritime in France.

    Both have a lot to recommend them.

    That picture is very beautiful though. No snow here in London and no money for skiing this year, so is as close as I will get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fancy getting my passport out and trying those two places cityunslicker mentioned, he is such a seasoned traveller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you've got your snow, James. Sicily nearly fits the bill but we can't offer you the -12 temp in winter. Care for the aged is pretty good here, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cityunslicker might possibly hold the answer here. Thanks to you all. When I find out, I'll certainly let you know.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.