Wednesday, January 10, 2007

[delayed meme] clearing my debt

Oh well, s’pose I’ll have to do this but I’m getting all Praguetory about it now. And to think I even started one of these before New Year, out of spite.

So, five things you might not know about me:

1] I once had a gardening practice, then a screenprinting business [of sports outfits]. The latter was called Sportsprint. When we tried to start up Futile Enterprises, Truly Ruly, marketing irrelevancies to the general public, they wouldn’t register us. We’d written the articles of association too but they felt we weren’t being serious. Us? And I gave it up for education. Is that crazy or is that crazy?

2] We had a mixed Indoor Cricket team which made the final, largely on the strength of our girls. It was called Silly Point and was the greatest rabble you’re ever likely to see. We had a couple of top lads who always weathered the storm early but the runmakers were a lady cricketer and myself. She could hit but not run. I could run but not hit so we stole almost every run. They stopped us in the final by drifting across our path slightly before the ball was bowled.

3] I used to make films and that got me into sound and light, which led to theatre, which led to directing several plays but my favourite of all time was a Wodehouse piece which went as per plan but the jazz music soundtrack was what people wanted to purchase later. Pity I didn’t follow through with that. We even had young ladies dressed as maids to serve refreshments at interval during that run and one or two were possibly available. Pity I didn’t follow through with that.

4] I rally drove a veedub for three years. I pitied the navigator, Halda or no Halda but only ended nose up the hill once. The skills learned at that time now stand me in good stead on the totally lawless Russian roads but the roads I rallied on were marginally better than the ones over here now. Plus there were no policemen suddenly leaping out at you from behind bushes, wildly gesticulating with black and white battens and falling flat on their backs on the ice.

5] On a mountain top, I proposed marriage to a lady whose face was covered in glitter and when she accepted, I said, ‘Pardon?’ I discovered that night that backseat shenanigans are anatomically difficult for the uncoordinated. One learnt though.

I’m not passing it on to anyone because it is cruel and inhumane to fellow bloggers. Except for the Canny Greek, of course, who thought he'd escaped last time.

3 comments:

  1. Most illuminating, and what happened to your lovely glitter bride?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indoor cricket, eh? I like it! Cricket teams should be rabbles - I mean, look at England!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both that particular bride and the team went the way of all things.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.