Monday, January 15, 2007

[comments] what is the etiquette regarding these

My computer, a little like Imagined Community’s, plays up and does very strange things and so I don’t read much into situations like not being able to access Jackie Danicki’s site, for example. The Englishman knows of my difficulties and many is the time I can’t post comments on his site. But when the page reappears after a few anxious moments, I know all is well.

The Last Ditch has a tricky comments system. Once you’ve commented and the page reappears, it gives no indication of whether the comment has gone for approval or not. Then it’s a wait to discover whether it ‘took’ or not. So, as I say, I don’t read too much into it.

I’m known for being a little ‘left field’ in some of my ideas and probably in some of my comments and yet I hardly think they’re malicious or fail to meet standards of decency. About the strongest comment I ever left was a few minutes ago on Westminster Wisdom, predictably, on Christianity.

So when I begin to detect a real problem on certain blogs – two of the Blogpowerers in particular, one of whom I know visits me often - I wonder how much it is a technical glitch and how much rejection of the comment. One of these fine bloggers uses moderation, the other not. This raises the question of blog-etiquette.

I was given to understand, by people such as Stephen Pollard, Tim Worstall and Chris Dillow, in my early blogging days, that 1] one always linked and 2] one didn’t reject someone’s comment unless it was offensive or attacked another commenter in an unacceptable way [other than arguing the point, of course].

I suppose I took these rules to heart and the result is my comments section which all can view. And let’s face it – it’s a little dispiriting if one’s comment has been rejected.

One of the Blogpower blogs I visited earlier, without moderation, had me open-mouthed. Though I’d commented on three of her posts yesterday and had gone back and re-read those posts afterwards, seeing the comments in place, nevertheless, this evening the comments had mysteriously been spirited away and some posts were registering zero.

This was mildly upsetting. Particularly as I can’t see how the comments were not constructive. Well, people will do as they wish on their sites but surely there’s some sort of etiquette governing this?

10 comments:

  1. I think the etiquette is to do unto others what you would have done unto you.

    If they do not play, then make your own judgement.

    I wrote a huge piece on the last ditch yesterday; it never made it through much to my dismay! All that effort gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're right, James - it is a strong comment, and I agree with it. But it is because I really don't want arguments of that kind any more that I avoid writing posts like it, though that is what I think. Well done to you.

    On the subject of moderated comments, it's a shame that people don't want to hear some things, but it's their right, as it would be mine in any analogous situation. I've never banned a comment but I would if I thought it were ignorant or offensive - on my blog, that is my job (joke, c. Private Eye).

    Also - as a first resort, think of cock-up before conspiracy. I got peeved last week when my comments didn't appear on Sicily Scene and then WL wrote to me and said that she'd been having probs with the system - something that's happened to me elsewhere (unless everyone's conspiring against me of course). I think some people's comments didn't turn up on my blog for a bit too, though, as I say, I've never banned a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have had problems with Sicily Scene. I thought it had been sorted but I can't post again now. Welshcakes assures me she's not stopping my comments, which are innocuous enough - mostly about dog poo. So I assume it's a Blogger hiccup that remains to be sorted - like the fact that I have to sign in every time in spite of constantly telling the 'puta to remember me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had lots of problems with posting on WL's site too, I emailed her about it as my comments were not appearing. So don't worry if it is her blog, hopefully she will get it sorted soon. It must be annoying for her.

    I'm wondering whether cityunslicker's comment simply got lost in cyberspace, that's often the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James- just read your comment and posted a response- sorry if language got confused or thought and I offended you didn't mean to-

    I didn't think yours was too strong at all and had no mind to delete it.

    It can be just cyberspace- I have a mate who has difficulties on mine commenting- though I don't delete him at all but he's told me he has difficulties- and I've had difficulites on blogs especially when the word notification jsut decides not to turn up but is on so it might just be that.

    Hope its sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, james. Hi, all! Well, I've been quite concerned that I've been getting less comments the last couple of weeks than usual, but I don't know if it's me you mean, James - I'm not a conceited sort of girl so it maybe no one is commenting, full stop!I thought the tech prob had been sorted but now I'm not so sure. To be honest, I've been really depressed about it all lately and have had to force myself to blog. I've tried everything I know how to do on blogger to check the comments issue and I don't know what else to try, so I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas. But, as I say, I may be getting above myself here and thinking people want to comment when maybe they don't..
    By the way, I too have had probs commenting on Last Ditch and also on Andrew Allison . So that got me depressed too! Oh, and I don't use moderation 'cos I don't want to hear some things. I have only ever rejected 1 comment and that was because it was very offensive to another blogger, not me! I use it because I am a single woman and feel I have to protect myself a little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I allow all comment, I might remove something if it was an unwarranted attack and offensive at a level I couldn't justify having on my blog, even then I would add a comment explaining why the comment had been removed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just came online for the new day and see much has happened in the interim.

    Welshcakes was the one whose comments were moderated but another lady, who doesn't use moderation, was the one I was referring to. It really did look like the comments, which were actually onsite, had all been wiped.

    That's fine if she's taken a set against me - people do that all the time. But if it was just to make her site appear 'prettier', then it comes down to blog etiquette.

    I believe that one either invites comments or not. Some do not. Fair enough. But if one does, then one has to take the rough with the smooth, within limits.

    Anyway, that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I once had Notsaussure, poor man, search up-cyber hill and down-webdale to find out why I sometimes could comment on his site and sometimes not! IT turned out that occasionally my IP address was blocked, and occasionally not. go figure!

    The system may be logical but it often doesn't make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't blocked any comments, ever. I delete spam, but that's it. I have moderation enabled for that purpose only. I wasn't aware that Typepad didn't give a "held for moderation" feedback. Sorry, James.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.