Monday, December 11, 2006

[stats] eternal delight or bane of our existence

Don’t know about you but sitemeter country stats are fascinating. Typical for this site is UK 35% US 25% Rus/Unkn [same thing] 15% Rest 25%.

Homeland UK wildly fluctuates and that can become frustrating – they’re very choosy people on the whole and on a day they decide to dump you, stats slump. I remember one Sunday I had 2 Brits for the day – 2! One Tuesday, there were 120 Brits alone in three hours. The US is far more consistent and almost never varies from 25% to 35%. They usually come in hard after I’ve gone to sleep but are scattered throughout the day. The Americans are important.

I try to weight UK friendly material in the morning and US material for their morning. I’ve tried to get a line on the other 25% from the other countries, the three most consistent being Russia, Canada and Australia, but there are regulars from about a dozen other countries and I don’t know what they see in the site. Perhaps they’re expats but who knows, as they don’t usually comment. Sicily is a very sweet recent country.

On overall visitors, my best days are usually but not always, Mon – Wed and then there’s a decline with Fri/Sat usually my worst. My order of quick viewing, at the beginning and end of the day, is Unique Visitors [almost never look at hits], Location [love the little flags], Country Share pie graph mainly to see which exotic countries might have visited and then I do tend to study the Entry Page Order to see the type of article which is popular with people.

Very surprised at some of the older articles still bringing in visitors but I suppose the Blogfocus is the main one and a lot of non-Brits come in for that as well. Regular and speculative visitors are hard to estimate and I don’t have time to check out individuals but I’d guess maybe it runs at 50-50. So I don’t know how all that compares to you.

One last thing – this time recently has been rewarding because there’s been communication and I’ve come to realize that though I do have a point of view to push [it comes through, doesn’t it] it’s far more important to have interaction on vital and other interesting issues – most opting for the e-mail and my e-mail provider has just increased my quota x10 to cope.

I think this is what blogging is about for me. How anyone can just post his wisdom with a 'here it is - take it or leave it' attitude is beyond me. Also beyond me is the mad scramble for hits and trumpeting it to the world. True - the Blogpower initiative [and please feel free to upload the banner] is designed to boost us all but the rest of it there's no time for. So, off to work now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.