Saturday, December 16, 2006

[jim morrison] flawed genius or second rate pretty boy

"There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between - there are the doors." - Jim Morrison

Whether you feel that Jim Morrison was a brilliant and complex modern-day shaman or just a second-rate pretty-boy poet, who lost it to alcohol and narcotics, it's impossible to deny his influence down through the years.

This band recorded some of the darkest and most challenging music ever penned. What is so distinctive about them is how they successfully blended uncompromising rock, manic blues, jazz improvisation, funky edginess and apocalyptic angularity into dramatic settings for Morrison's baritone voice and acid-damaged poetry.

Jim Morrison described it this way:

“I was ideally suited for the work I am doing. It's the feeling of a bowstring being pulled back for 22 years and suddenly let go. I am interested in anything about revolt, disorder, chaos - especially activity that seems to have no meaning - it seems to me to be the road towards inner freedom. The whole thing is like an invitation to the west, a new wild west, a sensuous, evil world, strange and haunting, the path of the sun, you know.”

More here

4 comments:

  1. "This band recorded some of the darkest and most challenging music ever penned."

    I think you meant to write "This band recorded some of the darkest and most challenging teen-oriented girl-pop ever penned."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still like the Doors, but I guess the time I most listened to them was as a teenage girl. But I don't know why guys are often so down on JM - I often suspect they are jealous because he was so attractive to women!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the easy way he got them to do what he wanted.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.