Monday, December 18, 2006

[brave new world] of america and euroscepticism

Nicholas Biddle, object of Jackson’s ire

I’d like to thank Martin Kelly for drawing my attention to Pat Buchanan’s blog. It gives a US perspective but still, it’s equally applicable to Europe – more so because of the EU and that’s the primary reason I’m Eurosceptic. It’s a training run for the real thing.

I’d forgotten the House memorandum he quotes: On November 21, 1933, President Franklin Roosevelt wrote a letter to Col. Edward Mandell House, President Woodrow Wilson’s close advisor:

"The real truth of the matter is, as you and I know, that a financial element in the larger centers has owned the Government ever since the days of Andrew Jackson… "

That there is such a thing as a cabal of power brokers who control government behind the scenes has been detailed several times in this century by credible sources. Professor Carroll Quigley was Bill Clinton’s mentor at Georgetown University. President Clinton has publicly paid homage to the influence Professor Quigley had on his life. In Quigley’s magnum opus Tragedy and Hope (1966), he states:

"There does exist and has existed for a generation, an international … network which operates, to some extent, in the way the radical right believes the Communists act. In fact, this network, which we may identify as the Round Table Groups, has no aversion to cooperating with the Communists, or any other groups and frequently does so. I know of the operations of this network because I have studied it for twenty years and was permitted for two years, in the early 1960s, to examine its papers and secret records.

I have no aversion to it or to most of its aims and have, for much of my life, been close to it and to many of its instruments. I have objected, both in the past and recently, to a few of its policies… but in general my chief difference of opinion is that it wishes to remain unknown, and I believe its role in history is significant enough to be known."

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure you are right, James, that politicians everywhere have puppetmasters. I've long been interested in how extreme right and extreme left kind of meet in the middle, because both want to suppress opposition. I'm less sceptical than you are about the EU, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The latest survey of EU opinions just published shows that only 34 per cent of UK citizens think the EU is a "good idea". I'm surprised it's that high. Ireland top the poll with 78 per cent who think it's a good idea. Bejesus and begorrah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bejesus and Begorrah hits the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nonsense all I am afraid. All are in it for themselves; too incompetent or competitive to cop-operate in the long-term.

    I don't understand the desire of people to see global conspiracy in everything; maybe it is an excuse for a poverty in their own actions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe they just choose not to ignore the irrefutable evidence before them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.