Tuesday, November 07, 2006

[russia] winter on the roads 1

In response to Ellee’s question, snow is relatively rare in southern Britain and chains will get you from A to B but in Russia, they’re useless – we need to zip about in the snow for over three months and so everyone has two sets of tyres – summer and winter. It should be the case in Britain as well but ridiculous legislation prevents this safety feature. My winter tyres are Gislaved Nordfrost III 175s [pictured], the best you can get according to Za Rulyom. They have hundreds of little metal studs and the tread gives excellent grip. My summer tyres are Michelin 185s All Weather and they are also outlawed in Britain. Why?!! Today was changeover day and I prefer to change alloy wheels ’n all, so I have ten altogether. In the next post, I’ll show you my little car.

2 comments:

  1. It should be the case in the west as well but ridiculous legislation prevents this safety feature.

    Eh? Certainly in mountainous bits Italy people must fit winter tyres. Most folk have two sets and trek to the Gommista to get them changed over twice a year. I'm sure other cetral European countries have similar because there was mention that the recents blizzards caused a lot of bother especially because they hit came before their change over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is so. By the west I meant Britain, which is clearly ridiculous so I'll amend this now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.