Thursday, November 16, 2006

[poets corner] homespun verse of ewen mcteagle fondly remembered

It was in the more simple, homespun verses that McTeagle's unique style first flowered:

If you could see your way to lending me sixpence,
I could at least buy a newspaper.
That's not much to ask anyone.

For Lassie O'Shea the memory of McTeagle is still alive. He wrote her two poems between January and April 1969:

To Ma Own beloved Lassie, A poem on her 17th Birthday.
Lend us a couple of bob till Thursday, I'm absolutely skint.
But I'm expecting a postal order and I can pay you back as soon as it comes.
Love Ewan

After this critical triumph, McTeagle developed and widened his literary scope. Where once he'd concerned himself with still quite small sums - quick bits of ready cash: sixpences, shillings, in later years he turned his extraordinary literary perception to much larger sums - fifteen shillings, £4.12.6d ... even nine guineas ... but there is still nothing to match the huge sweep ... the majestic power of what is surely his greatest work: 'Can I have fifty pounds to mend the shed?':

Can I have £50 to mend the shed?
I'm right on my uppers. I can pay you back
When this postal order comes from Australia.
Honestly.
Hope the bladder trouble's getting better.
Love, Ewan.

Sigh. He was a wonderful poet, sadly no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.