Thursday, November 23, 2006

[iceland review] writer strikes back

You may recall my writing of Hitler being in Iceland and the writing style of Icelanders in English being so pleasantly quaint, especially when they are forever quoting RUV.

Intrigued, I wrote to Iceland Review to throw light on exactly who the person is who writes the news. From the style angle, I suspected [hoped for?] a sweet young lady. An example of her simple, earnest style:

This account in Skáldalíf is based on a written testimony given by a man who lived on the farm closest to Skriduklausur. To read another story about Gunnar Gunnarsson, click here.

Well, now she’s replied to my letter - the publishable part is here:

Dear James, I am the one responsible for the daily news and I am happy to hear that you enjoy our website. Best wishes, Eygló Svala Arnarsdóttir, Web Editor
I don’t know what it is but that sort of thing brings out niceness in people, which is one of the reasons I read Iceland Review in the first place. It certainly affects Lady Ellee :

I visited Iceland once for a day trip. I flew from Stansted, saw lots of water features and even had a lovely dip in the Blue Lagoon surrounded by volcanic rock.

But even crusty old bloggers can be affected. Witness our own redoubtable Serf, who is undergoing his own particular bout of niceness just now:

In the middle of a hectic day of a hectic life, Iceland seems somehow peacefully inviting doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.