Wednesday, November 08, 2006

[blind faith] interpreting evidence by prejudice

I wrote of Erle Stanley Gardner earlier with regard to economics. Here is another passage from the same book: Mason shifted his eyes to meet the steady inquiry in those of Sheriff Barnes. 'We've been talking quite a bit about becoming hypnotized by circumstantial evidence. After a person once gets a fixed belief, he interprets everything which happens in the light of that belief. It's a dangerous habit to get into, and I'm afraid I haven't been entirely innocent, myself. I've been so busy pointing out the trap to others that I've walked into one myself without noticing what I was doing.' [p290 Iris ed.] Sherlock Holmes also spoke on this matter. Many would say that my Christian perspective and say, Chris Dillow’s leftist, humanistic, pragmatic, economic perspective colour his judgement on spirituality and mine on practical matters. It’s a severe discipline to consider any idea, irrespective of it source and to try to admit its strength and cogency, especially when it does not accord with the perceived wisdom and the fashion of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.