Friday, October 20, 2006

[veils 2] comment on the earlier post by a muslim

Interesting little aside on the veils issue. A Muslim lady who visited me just now saw the post about sweet Aishah and after I’d explained the issue, felt that the school wouldn’t have employed her if she was wearing it at the interview, especially if it was a Christian school. The veil had to have come later. My visitor agreed with the school’s point of view but also with the award for hurt feelings [I think this was more the woman coming out in solidarity with her sister]. As for my final sentence [in the earlier post] on going to the mosque in Christian garb, she smiled. No one wears veils over here anyway – it’s just for Britonstan, it appears.

1 comment:

  1. I was sat with my 9 year old son watching the news about the veil issue. I asked him (without any prompting from me) if he would like her to teach his class. He told me no, when asked why he said because I wont know who it is and I dont think I could trust her. That aside, there was news of a muslim school in Leicester requiring non muslim girls to wear veils if they attended the school. That being the case and Christian children being required to respect the wishes of a muslims schools uniform requirements why is the same not applicable to a muslim woman working in a Church of England school? Double standards I think.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.