Friday, October 06, 2006

[laura bush] two views of a demure librarian

At the White House Correspondents' Association dinner, 2005, George Bush was on his feet delivering the night's main number when the First Lady glided to his side. "Not that old joke - not again," she said to him and as Mr. Bush slid back to his seat, she addressed the gathering: "I've been attending these dinners for years and just quietly sitting there," she said. "Well, I've got a few things I want to say for a change . . . George always says he's delighted to come to these dinners. Baloney. He's usually in bed by now. I said to him the other day, 'George, if you really want to end tyranny in this world, you're going to have to stay up later.' Nine o'clock," she went on, "Mr. Excitement here is sound asleep and I'm watching Desperate Housewives." Silence in the hall as she continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.